Thread: Fade in problem

Default Fade in problem

Blimey, I feel like I am on a posting frenzy.

Anyhoo...I have a problem with fading into a clip when no previous clip precedes it. Of course I understand there is no leeway and so I know the Dip to Black effect will start at the clip's in point. No problem with that. However the second video layer seems to blank out before then displaying. I think an example makes it easier to understand.

Here is the clip before any fade in is applied. The "New Life" title just appears suddenly with the married couple picture inset. Fine..except I want a gradual fade-in. There is a 7 second blank lead in

Clip 1 (10MB)

Here is the timeline screenshot for the above clip from Premiere

Screenshot 1

Here is the second clip with the Dip to Black effect added

Clip 2 (9MB)

Here is the timeline screenshot for the above clip showing the effect added.

Screenshot 2

See the blanking effect before the inset image appears? How do I get round this? I tried adding the Dip to Black effect to the inset image too but got exactly the same problem.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Not sure I really understand this - but I reckon if you render out the two still clips (so they become one), then with this and your video on separate tracks, just use the opacity rubber bands to gently blend them.

With black on track 1, fade any/all tracks above it - this will be as smooth as you like - no jumps. I'm sure Marc will have his own bespoke method, but if I read you correctly, this will work.

Nice wedding clip, by the way, very sweet, and a great song.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't use dip to black. Drop the cross fade onto both "in" points of the two clips in layer 1 and layer 2. Alternatively key frame opcatity in one clip, then copy and paste attributes into the other.

Thanks both.

Marc I will go with keyframing the opacity setting - I am sure that will work. My other thought was to produce a black clip and insert it before both clips on each layer and then apply the effect to each layer. Just seems a bit long winded that way.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid