Thread: Picking a software for specific needs

Default Picking a software for specific needs

Hello all,
    this is my first post to this forum, and I need some help with choosing the right software for a very specific use.

I have very limited experience with video editing - I used to edit my high school basketball team's highlight videos in iMovie. That's about it.

Now I work for a company that develops software for video motion analysis of sports and gait, and basically anything that requires video for training or evaluation.
    We incorporate a lot of high speed GigE vision cameras into our systems, and the result is high frame rate video.

A few weekends ago we captured some footage of long jumpers at a high level track and field event, but due to the high frame rate and shutter speed, and the fact that it was a cloudy day, the videos are a little bit dark. My boss has asked me to find a way to brighten up these videos using some kind of video editing software, just so that they look a bit better. I have tried doing this in free trials of both Magix and Adobe Premiere, but what I have found is that when I export the finished product and put it back into our software, the frame rate is all messed up. For example, the video was captured at 350 frames per second, and when it is exported it plays back at around 25 frames per second, thus rendering the video useless from an analysis standpoint.

Now, to my question. Is there any software out there that allows you to maintain the native frame rate while altering the brightness and contrast? Or is there a specific setting that I haven't noticed yet?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And I'd be happy to provide further information if required.

Usually you should be able to change the frame rate in the export settings of your software.

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    Usually you should be able to change the frame rate in the export settings of your software.
    Thanks for your reply. I tried that setting, but it didn't have any effect on maintaining the frame rate. Could it be because it's only a trial version?

Could be. I would try to contact their support.

In premiere pro have it create the sequence to match the source footage type, since that will maintain the frame rate within premiere pro.

Next, when you export, export through media encoder. Within the encoding settings set the frame rate you want.

Thanks for the advice. I spoke with Magix support, and they only allow exporting to 50 FPS, which is a bummer, as their software is relatively cheap and I only need this kind of software for this one specific application. Do you know of any other softwares out there that have similar functionality, but aren't as expensive as Premiere Pro? Thanks to both of you for your responses.

You don't say what format the video is in... I'm guessing uncompressed? which case you should be able to use the free editor Virtualdub to do what you need. Import your video into Virtualdub, use the internal filters to correct brightness, contrast etc, and export as uncompressed again... or into another format if needed... at whatever frame rate you chose...

Thanks for the suggestion, rogs, I have checked it out and it is exactly what I am looking for. I've been playing with the filters and it can easily maintain the native frame rate, so thanks again. One more question: do you have any idea where one can download additional filters for virtualdub? It has most of the ones I'm looking for, with the exception of gamma correction. and we use the morgan codec, but i see that it is supported so it's no problem

You might find something useful amongst these: and there are others...

this looks as if it may be suitable, for example:

In each case, just unzip and copy the .vdf file into your Virtualdub 'plugins' folder.

You might also like to investigate AVISynth as well? It may not seem very user friendly to start with - being a script language with no GUI - but it is an immensely powerful set of tools for video manipulation... and it's free!!

You can also open AVISynth scripts in Virtualdub ... or make them easier to preview and edit by opening them with the AvsP text editor .. which is also free!!
    Last edited by rogs; 08-14-2014 at 11:27 AM.