Thread: Film shot by a SINGLE GUY

Default Film shot by a SINGLE GUY

I've ALWAYS wanted to become a filmmaker. The problem is, I suffer from panick attacks and a pretty severe case of social phobia. I don't get out of my house often, and I certainly don't surround myself with people. Which makes it pretty darn hard to make movies...

This is the story of how I went ahead a shot a 25min short film all by myself, with no crew, using family members as actors. I don't know if this is unusual or not, but I think the quality of the final product, given the very limited ressources I had, might be uncommon.

When my father passed away last year, he left me a little bit of money. My dad was always very adamant of my filmmaking/screenwriting, and no matter what stupid decisions I made to pursue my dreams (quit college, quit my job, etc) he never lost faith in me and did everything he could to help me reach my goals.

So with the money my dad left me, I purchased a Blackmagic Camera, a couple of lenses and a microphone, and went ahead and started shooting my first short film.

I was so excited by the idea of making this film that I began without a script, which made things a little difficult. Since I have virtually no friends and very little contact with the outside world, I cast my girlfriend in the lead role and my niece as the secondary. My mom and sister also played roles in my film, as well as myself.

Making a movie all by yourself is silly hard, but not impossible. I often had to operate the camera, pull focus and boom at the same time. Often times I would just abandon sound and do everything in post. It certainly involves a lot of foley, ADR and post production.

I shot basically all my ''alone'' scenes by myself, when my grilfriend was at work. I would place a mirror behind the camera to arrange my frame and focus. I even tied a rope to a DIY dolley to pull some camera movements since I had no camera operator. I was filming theses ''alone'' scenes, well, all by myself...

I shot for 5 months, on weekends, mostly at night. A friend of my girlfriend did come out to help on two or three occasions, and I credited him in the movie because he's a great guy. But it's safe to say that 99,99% of the film was made by a single dude.

Basically, the message I want to send out with this film is that if you're really passionate about cinema, just go out there and make a film. You don't need a budget and you don't need a crew lol. I know that sounds ridiculous, but all you need is a little inspiration, alot of determination and a WHOLE LOT of patience.

Here's the link to my film:

Thanks for watching, and I'm hoping you can help my movie garner a little bit of attention.

Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 2.11.24 PM.jpg for thos of you familiar with Carson Reeves (Scriptshadow) here's his two-cents...

there were a Few cliches but you manged to build suspense well. good overall sound and well acted. little "chloe;s" face was a picture...... though im sure she wasnt exposed to many scenes im a little worried she'll be having nightmares for years to come
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    there were a Few cliches but you manged to build suspense well. good overall sound and well acted. little "chloe;s" face was a picture...... though im sure she wasnt exposed to many scenes im a little worried she'll be having nightmares for years to come
    Thanks for the kind words!

My niece actualy doesn't know she was in a horror movie. The only time she's with the ''scary lead'' in the shot is when she's being dragged upstairs (and I think when she tries to escape). I filmed her shots seperatedly, in order to avoid her getting too ''damaged'' lol.

I think you did and excellent job with this. I'm not a fan of horror movies, I'm too much of a wimp but I managed to watch this all the way through. I won’t give the end away but I’m glad it ended like it did. Like enc said I think you got good performances out of the actors. Good effects. Camera work, sound. May be just a bit overdone in places with the scary music but that’s a minor point. Reading your post reminded me of my first “proper piece” it wasn’t as ambitious as yours but I roped in my wife and daughter to take lead roles and a few friends to help out with things.

I hope you learn to overcome your agoraphobia or what ever your issue is as it’s a very debilitating problem for you. If you can achieve this level by doing everything yourself may be you
    should continue on this path for a while.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I think you did and excellent job with this. I'm not a fan of horror movies, I'm too much of a wimp but I managed to watch this all the way through. I wonít give the end away but Iím glad it ended like it did. Like enc said I think you got good performances out of the actors. Good effects. Camera work, sound. May be just a bit overdone in places with the scary music but thatís a minor point. Reading your post reminded me of my first ďproper pieceĒ it wasnít as ambitious as yours but I roped in my wife and daughter to take lead roles and a few friends to help out with things.

I hope you learn to overcome your agoraphobia or what ever your issue is as itís a very debilitating problem for you. If you can achieve this level by doing everything yourself may be you
    should continue on this path for a while.

Good luck.

Many, many thanks for your very kind words Midnight!

I found it really intense. In general it was well acted, recorded and cut in my eyes.
    They key light could have been a bit brighter from time to time for my taste - especially on her in the opening scene.
    Probably it's because of my computer setup but I found the audio volume to be quite low.
    The blood at 08:15 looks a bit fake.
    Pulling the body looks slightly too easy at 09:00.
    A logical issue was that she needed a lighter when chasing the daughter but not when "taking care" of the body.
    Well done. You created a film which is more than most people will ever do and it's even a good one - had to watch it at daylight