Thread: Highlighting faces

Default Highlighting faces

Dear everyone,

For the purpose of research, I need to highlight the face in short video clips of people laughging, crying, etc.
    I first used Camtasia, but this program only has the option to highlight a square part of the video.
    Most ideal for the project would be that I can make a circle/oval around the face and turn the rest of the
    surroundings completely black. The idea is that as little as possible of the context is visible, just the face.

Can anyone recommend a program and tool within this program that could do that?

Thanks in advance!

I would typically do this within the colour grading of FCPX (which makes this trivial), but it could also be done in After Effects, Motion, Resolve (there's a free version!), SpeedGrade etc etc.

I'm sure lots of other apps also have this capability, including Sony Vegas, Premiere Pro etc.

You may also consider Photoshop or Lightroom if you have those, since both have the ability to add layers to videos with masks.

Thank you David!
    I'm using After Effects now, that seems to work well.
    However, one question: I've created a mask around the face, and managed to get the background completely black, but I need to move this mask because the face is of course not always in the same
    place in the video, and I really need only the face to be seen, no background.
    What would be the easiest way to do this?

Thanks in advance again!

Quote Originally Posted by Narda Schenk View Post
    but I need to move this mask because the face is of course not always in the same
    place in the video, and I really need only the face to be seen, no background.
    What would be the easiest way to do this?
    That's exactly what keyframes are for! Click on the stop watch icon next to the mask, move forward through time and move the mask as needed, recording keyframes as you go. The mask will animate with the underlying video. Done.

You could try tracking, but honestly I'd probably do that with keyframes since you can also keyframe the height and width and even the feather at the same time.

There are lots of tutorials around on the web for this sort of stuff so google is your friend Just search for something like After Effects Keyframing.

Thanks again!
    Because I have never worked with this program before, or actually have hardly ever done any video editing before, I don't know the correct terms to google, so this is very helpful