Thread: Help switching from PC to Mac for Hi Def video editing

Default Help switching from PC to Mac for Hi Def video editing

I'm looking to switch from PC to Mac for editing hi-def video.

I currently use Vegas Pro 9.0 to edit .mts files from my Canon HF30. My system is
    Intel Quad Core i7 2.67GHz with 12 GB ram run Windows 7 with a GeoForce GTS 240 1GB graphic card

I want an IMac to accomplish the editing I do with the PC Rig. If possible, would love to switch to a MacBookPro with thunderbolt plug, bit if not an IMac will do. I Would like to either switch from Vegas Pro to Final Cut Pro and/or use bootcamp to run Vegas (but prefer to totally go to final cut.)

What type of Imac or Macbook could I get for this.

Looking to Spend $1000 if possible, but Max is about $2000 (used rig is ok)

Why are you switching?

Your current outfit doesn't sound too bad

you won't get much for 2000 in the Mac world

My current system is perfect. I just want to switch to the mac platform. I was really just trying to see what type of mac I could use to edit high definition video.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BryanOnALapTop View Post
    What type of Imac or Macbook could I get for this.

Looking to Spend $1000 if possible, but Max is about $2000 (used rig is ok)
    The newer, slim iMacs (24") cannot have the RAM upgraded after purchase, so this is something to think about. The Mac Mini is a great little desktop, but doesn't have a dedicated graphics card.

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    Why are you switching?
    Fantastic question. Don't fix what isn't yet broken, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanOnALapTop View Post
    My current system is perfect. I just want to switch to the mac platform. I was really just trying to see what type of mac I could use to edit high definition video.
    I, and may others, have also made the switch, but I think the question you should be asking yourself, is if you really need to.

it´s THE trend......

As many forum observers will know, I'm a mac user.

I've had Windows since pre-windows 3.0 days all the way up to Windows 7 (I've never been bothered about upgrading to .

I've also used Macs from the 80s through to today.

I choose to use Macs over Windows for day to day use, including Video, Photo & Audio editing for a number of reasons, but those reasons are the right choice for me, but not always right for other people. For many people Windows is the better option. Neither is better than the other over all, they are different and have different strengths and weaknesses.

Changing platforms because you think it is cool, or you're trying to impress someone, or you're just bored with the current platform doesn't seem like a good reason to change at all.

There are both the expense, and the time required to unlearn what you already know and then learn something new. Macs are really intuitive to use once you are in 'mac-mode', but if you comes from windows and never knew anything about Mac then things could be a little stressful.

When anyone asks me should I buy a Mac or Windows my first questions are:

1) What do you want to do with it?
    2) What software do you want to run?

If you are familiar with Sony Vegas and it's running fine and doing what you need then why would you even contemplate changing to a platform that's not designed to run Sony Vegas? Why would you change hardware platforms only to then run boot-camp back to Windows? Stick with a Windows targeted hardware platform and be happy.

If Sony Vegas and/or your current hardware / OS platform are not doing things you want, exactly what is it that you think you want that they can't do, and having considered all the options, what is it about the Mac platform & available software that would change that? What software do you actually want to run? The only major editing app that is Mac specific is FCPX (which I use almost daily).

On top of the cost of changing hardware, don't forget to then add in the cost of the new editing software, any costs of retraining to use that software, and of course buying new licenses for other apps like MS Word, Excel or what ever you need to use, assuming it even runs on Mac.

$2,000 is really not that much to spend to get a beefy machine PLUS all the possible software and plugins you want.

$1,000 doesn't even come close.

I use a 17" MacBookPro when out on the road and it works fine. I've even done some pretty serious multicam productions on it and never complained.

Day-to-day I use an iMac 27" and GPU with 4GB, SSD, etc etc. I also have a MacPro 8 core with internal RAID0 etc. You can't buy any of those for $2K.

The MacBookPro you can buy on the cheap end is not great for video editing because it's not a video optimised GPU, they are optimised for low power consumption instead.

As mentioned before, the smaller iMacs can't have their memory upgraded. Nor can the latest MacBookPro (I bought mine with 1GB ram and now it has 16GB - you can't do that any more).

The new MBPs can't even have their internal HDDs upgraded because they use SSD that's soldered on to the main board.

Be careful about buying older used machines that only have USB2 ports instead of USB3 because you'll be sorry when you need fast external HDDs and you can't get there.

Think very carefully if you 'need' to change or whether it's just one of those "I gotta have the latest fad" things that will pass in time. It happens to all of us.

Now, if after all this you 'still' want to go mac then the first thing to decided is what software you are going to run and WHY? If you're planning on using boot camp then you're essentially saying I'd like a new windows computer. Tell me I'm wrong.
    Last edited by David Partington; 09-03-2014 at 06:41 PM.