Thread: FPV alpine slide ride - cut experiments

Default FPV alpine slide ride - cut experiments

Some time ago I posted a video about an alpine coaster ride and figured it needed more cuts to increase the dynamic. Now I gave another ride a visit and tried to get some more track footage. I totally forgot to take a panoramic shot and did not have the time to take an overview shot of the track. So that's already on the to do list for the next video.
    What I would need is some feedback on the cuts (although you may of course leave a thorough review). Some of you will surely mind the music I chose for my target audience

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

OK. Things to watch out for.
    The repeated shots at the beginning were obvious and unnecessary - why not do the voice over and the graphics about the height and length later? I didn't like the fact the text facts (height and length) disappeared from the screen before you'd finished mentioning them. It is more normal to finish talking and leave the text a bit longer. Having said that it is never a good idea to simply repeat in captions what is being spoken.
    The images looked rather jerky - as if it had been played back at 15fps rather than 25 or 30. Maybe some motion blur would help.
    Finally, try to get your external shots matching the internal ones. It is disconcerting to see a shot from inside which is generally right to left cut into and external shot which is right to left.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    The images looked rather jerky - as if it had been played back at 15fps rather than 25 or 30. Maybe some motion blur would help.
    No idea where that comes from. I'll have to check my editing process.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Finally, try to get your external shots matching the internal ones. It is disconcerting to see a shot from inside which is generally right to left cut into and external shot which is right to left.
    I honestly tried to do so but now that you mentioned it I see what you mean :(

Thanks for your effort.

Having thought a bit more abut what you wrote I guess the main problem are the sequences that show the outside of a curve. That's kind of the opposite view angle of the first person perspective and thus violating the 180 rule.

Could you elaborate a bit more on what you mean by "jerky" ? Is it stuttering for you? The footage looks smooth to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    Could you elaborate a bit more on what you mean by "jerky" ? Is it stuttering for you? The footage looks smooth to me.
    It just looks like it's shot/displayed with a low frame rate, like a flick book. For example at 1:08 I can almost see lots of separate images of the guy in different positions. It's not my broadband (about 60Mbps, and it makes no difference if I watch in HD or very LD!)
    Tim

Wow thanks - now I see it. Very strange. I wonder how I did not notice that.