Thread: Software for highlights video?

Default Software for highlights video?

Hi

I have about 200 hours of footage in .mp4 files and I want to create a single highlights video. Is there any software - free or paid - you can recommend?

Any free video editing software could do the job (Windows: Movie Maker, Mac: iMovie, Linux: Openshot)

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    Any free video editing software could do the job (Windows: Movie Maker, Mac: iMovie, Linux: Openshot)
    Thanks Ray, is there any software which is particularly easy to use for this type of thing? I'm a complete beginner. The videos are all sports, so if there was also a way to zoom in on the video and create a kind of slow motion replay effect then that would be amazing. I'm on Windows by the way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daviec View Post
    if there was also a way to zoom in on the video and create a kind of slow motion replay effect then that would be amazing.
    You need to understand that any zooming in or slowing of motion results in loss of quality. In both cases the success depends upon calculating the likely value of something between two known somethings. For example, if you have two pixels next to each other then zoom in, the software need to guess what the intemediate pixel would be. Some software is more successful than other software, but you can expect to pay good money for something that doesn't really do a great job. If you want to zoom in, shoot zoomed in. if you want to slow down, shoot at a much faster frame rate than the playback rate. MP$ files aren't really designed for editing, but for playback. They are very heavily compressed, which is great for small file sizes and if they are just being played back "as is" but I'd seriously suggest you limit your editing to straight cuts (sno zooming, slowing, colour correction, transitions)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Daviec View Post
    is there any software which is particularly easy to use for this type of thing?
    Lots of beginners seem to like Sony Vegas but I have never tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    Lots of beginners seem to like Sony Vegas but I have never tried it.
    I've been doing sports video highlights for the last 4 years and I use Sony Vegas Pro and it IS very easy to do slow motion and zoom. But like another user said, any free program will do what you need. And you can go to youtube and put in the software you use and the effect you are trying to do and im sure plenty of "how to" videos will pop up. That's how I learned most of what i do in Vegas along with experimenting.

If you go with Vegas, you probably can get by with Vegas Movie Maker. Its much cheaper.

I use a website called www.stepup.io because it allow me to insert highlights without compromising the original content (since the originals can be accessed via the youtube button). All you do is upload a youtube link of your content and then select the bits you want to use for your highlight reel. You can add annotations as well. If you add a hashtag (i.e. #bryanshighlightreel) then your videos will automatically be compiled into a playlist. This is a highlights compilation I made for a friend, check it out: http://www.stepup.io/tags/maximvideos. if you click on the youtube button in the right bottom of every highlight clip then you get redirected to the original video.

Let me know if this was helpful! I'm a student looking to get editing experience so if you link me to your youtube i can make a highlight reel for you as well