Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Absolute Beginner

Default Absolute Beginner

Good Morning. My name is Becky. I have been given the rather daunting task of producing high quality videos for the YouTube channel my bosses would like to build. The most I have ever worked with is Windows Movie Maker and I have a Vaio. I have done enough research to know that Movie Maker and my little Vaio are not going to be able to produce what my bosses want. They are willing to invest in a new computer and software and the time it will take me to learn to use both because they recognize the value of being able to produce. their own videos/slideshows/presentations. However, I am now lost. There are so many systems and so much software available that I don't really know where to go from here. So, I am asking for help from people who have experience.
    I know I need a system that will support the software I need as well as one that will allow me to render, upload, and burn my videos. The type of videos they would like are what I would consider the equivalent of television commercial quality or music video quality. So, I am asking for advice from the experts:
    What Graphics card do I need?
    How much RAM?
    What Processor do I need?
    Would Windows 7 or 8 be a good operating system?
    What software program would you recommend for making the videos? I am pretty quick but bear in mind that I do not have a lot of experience so would be starting from scratch.
    Would I need a photoshop program as well or would good video software include the ability to manipulate the photos?
    I am being provided with video from a lot of different sources/cameras/video recorders. I'd like to recommend a camera that will produce high quality video to start with. It would have to be fairly simple to use as it would likely have multiple operators. Any ideas?

I hope this isn't being presumptuous, asking for your help, but I am truly lost at the moment. I do not want to make a recommendation for a lot of new equipment for the company to invest in and then find out it was the wrong computer/software. Thank you for your time and patience.

My comments below are my personal opinion:

The 2 most popular Video editing applications in these Forums appear to be either Adobe's "Premiere" or Sony's "Vegas".
    Both apps come in different editions. As one may expect, the better editions cost more and have more features. Both companies offer time limited trial versions.

Graphics card. The choice may partly depend on the selected Video editing software. In some cases, the application may be able to use "CUDA", which may make the application run better. I suggest reading the 'system requirements' for each of the apps listed above.

Personally, I would prefer Windows 7, but ensure it is the 64bit (and not the 32bit) version.

RAM. Personally, I like 16Gb.

"Would I need a photoshop program". Photoshop is the name of the graphics processing application from Adobe. Yes - having a decent image processing program is very helpful. Premiere users sometimes prefer Photoshop because they are both made by Adobe, share a vaguely similar GUI and provide some helpful connectivity between the apps.

I use. Premiere CS6 with Windows7, 16Gb RAM, Intel i7-3280@3.360GHz and an NVIDIA GTX680. I use two screens.

The above details are not fully helpful, as they only really apply to me. I recommend also considering disk size, disk speed and number of disks.

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    My comments below are my personal opinion:

The 2 most popular Video editing applications in these Forums appear to be either Adobe's "Premiere" or Sony's "Vegas".
    Both apps come in different editions. As one may expect, the better editions cost more and have more features. Both companies offer time limited trial versions.

Graphics card. The choice may partly depend on the selected Video editing software. In some cases, the application may be able to use "CUDA", which may make the application run better. I suggest reading the 'system requirements' for each of the apps listed above.

Personally, I would prefer Windows 7, but ensure it is the 64bit (and not the 32bit) version.

RAM. Personally, I like 16Gb.

"Would I need a photoshop program". Photoshop is the name of the graphics processing application from Adobe. Yes - having a decent image processing program is very helpful. Premiere users sometimes prefer Photoshop because they are both made by Adobe, share a vaguely similar GUI and provide some helpful connectivity between the apps.

I use. Premiere CS6 with Windows7, 16Gb RAM, Intel i7-3280@3.360GHz and an NVIDIA GTX680. I use two screens.

The above details are not fully helpful, as they only really apply to me. I recommend also considering disk size, disk speed and number of disks.
    This was very helpful! Win7 is my preference as well. I will make sure it is 64 bit, and 16Gb RAM is what has been recommended the most. I have been considering the Adobe Creative Cloud subscription, that will place all the tools at my disposal along with other tools that I suspect i will need as this "project" is beginning to take on the trappings of a marketing department and not just a video production project.

Just out of curiosity - could you give an example of what you can't achieve with Movie Maker? This may give an impression about what kind of software you really need. So far it sounds as if you were mainly making factual videos and I see nothing about them that couldn't be done with free software.

My two cents

You can bang your head against the wall with windows movie maker, or you can do the following:

get a nice power Mac and buy Final Cut Pro (easier learning curve than Vegas or premiere)
    get a real video camera (not a DSLR) - I'd suggest one from the canon professional line like the xa10
    depending upon the situation, you will need the proper microphones - eg lavaliers for interviews
    you will need a basic 3-point lighting setup - I use construction lighting but everybody laughs at me so maybe don't do that
    please take some courses or your videos will look like mine (check out my stuff as examples of what not to do)

Zam

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    Just out of curiosity - could you give an example of what you can't achieve with Movie Maker? This may give an impression about what kind of software you really need. So far it sounds as if you were mainly making factual videos and I see nothing about them that couldn't be done with free software.
    Here are examples of what I would like to be able to accomplish: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWQ...Y3HIuOq_aPbp9w This is Stuart Coopers' channel on YouTube; he is amazing. I am fairly certain I don't have his sense of style or aesthetic, but it is fairly obvious he does not use MovieMaker. This is a basic idea of what I will be working on at first: techniques, tips, and short videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L18tYBdkTdg or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iymJ...hEJp1DuGWI3ZFg This one is even more basic and could be done on MovieMaker however I'd like to add a small picture in picture of the exact same move being used in the ring in the bottom right hand corner. If I can do that with MovieMaker I haven't been able to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    My two cents

You can bang your head against the wall with windows movie maker, or you can do the following:

get a nice power Mac and buy Final Cut Pro (easier learning curve than Vegas or premiere)
    get a real video camera (not a DSLR) - I'd suggest one from the canon professional line like the xa10
    depending upon the situation, you will need the proper microphones - eg lavaliers for interviews
    you will need a basic 3-point lighting setup - I use construction lighting but everybody laughs at me so maybe don't do that
    please take some courses or your videos will look like mine (check out my stuff as examples of what not to do)

Zam
    I have always worked with a PC and have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of having a Mac. I have a lot to learn and a whole new operating/computer system is not something I am willing to take on along with everything else. Honestly, what my company seems to want is a fully functional video/slideshow/graphics production department that is prepared to design and produce content for marketing, the YouTube channel and the website. I am afraid what started out as simply building content for the YouTube channel has evolved into something quite a bit more expansive. The camera I am going to recommend is a Canon, can't recall which one right now but I did mention it in an earlier reply. Surprisingly, they seem to be all in for the materials so at this point I am going to take all the advice I have been given and start doing. Time to dig in and get started with learning and producing. I will likely be back.

Default Thank you, all!

I have taken your advice and counsel and and decided on the parameters of the computer, the type of computer and given them the option of Creative Cloud or the Adobe suite of Video and Photo editing products. I have put together a proposal for both video equipment (camera, tripod, microphone (oddly, we already have lighting equipment)) and a mandatory course (eventually) that employees or members wanting to submit video or pictures will need to complete. The company is putting together an incentive program for contributors but I am trying to emphasize that contributions I cant use are not contributions. I am taking the YouTube tutorial and will be going through the Adobe tutorials as well. I have also found several tutorials on various subjects related to what I am trying to do on YouTube (duh) and lynda.com. Our website designer and developer are also going to give me a hand as a lot of the things I will be working with they have knowledge of. You guys made me think about who I already know who has some of the skills I am lacking and I started making calls. So..going to start doing and not just talking about it. I am very grateful for all the advice; it has truly been invaluable. I have no doubt I will be back!

PS: This is what I decided to submit for computer and software needs:
    Graphics card: nVidia GTX 760 or 770
    64bit
    16GbRAM or better
    Windows 7 or 8 (7 preferred)
    Office
    CORE i7 3770K

Adobe Creative Cloud Subscription, Individual, $60 a month, this is my preference.

or
    Adobe Premier Pro
    Adobe Elements
    Adobe Photo 7x

Quote Originally Posted by Desklady View Post
    it is fairly obvious he does not use MovieMaker.
    What I have seen there is more a result of filming skills than of a fancy editing software. Mainly clean cuts, some fades and a bit of color correction. I don't know which editor he used but that could be done in Movie Maker. Buy what you want. I just wanted to prevent you from making decisions from wrong assumptions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast