Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lawn mower racing!

1. Default Lawn mower racing!

Pretty much our first go at shooting an event like this.

Blog Entries

Certainly adds a new perspective. in fact this is one event that seems particularly suited to drones filming. However, this film has rather confirmed my suspicion that, as with action cams, their use is best suited to supplementing and supporting a film comprising more "traditional" shots.
    Tim

3. Default

Hi Tim, thanks for your comments and feedback. I pretty much agree entirely with what you have said there. A mix up of shots gives the best results! Next time out I hope to mix it up a bit more with a gopro on a lawn mower (did I really say that!) although my intention with the video is to show what footage I can get rather than being an end product.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snagglepuss View Post
    I hope to mix it up a bit more with a gopro on a lawn mower (did I really say that!)
    LOL
    although my intention with the video is to show what footage I can get rather than being an end product.
    i had my suspicions
    Last edited by TimStannard; 07-30-2014 at 08:32 AM.
    Tim

In the beginning you could have had some footage of people setting up their gear.
    Sometimes you had parts of the drone in your frame.
    Overall it was nice but could have been coudl down. You lost me at 2:00.

I relaise that a wide lens increases the changes of filming the required target; but the distortions (e.g. in horizons) leaves me feeling a little uneasy/sickly. What options might there be for processing a wide angle shot to resemble what we might see on normal lens?

7. Default

Thanks for the feedback.
    I had a few of issues including parts of the Drone in the shot, horizon off and a camera gimbal judder now and again.
    I hope to eliminate these problems next time out.
    Regarding Tims comments re distortions I don't really see that. Lens is a 26mm Carl Zeiss on a Sony CX730.
    We sometimes film with a gopro, now thats what I call distortion! You do need to be reasonably wide to get the shots from the air, on some of the high shots looking
    straight down a not so wide lens could mean another couple of hundred feet elevation to get the same shot. We are limited to 400ft by the CAA

Regarding Tims comments re distortions I don't really see that. Lens is a 26mm Carl Zeiss on a Sony CX730.
    We sometimes film with a gopro, now thats what I call distortion!
    I entirely accept what you say, and understand some of the limitations. Perhaps it ought not to be referred to as 'distortion', but merely an effect. My problem is that my brain feels uneasy when I first notice it; but rather quickly; the pleasantry fades, and I start disliking it. I notice the effect becomes much more noticeable when the scene includes, what 'might or should be straight lines (e.g. 01:30, the horizon). But without the straightlines, the effect is hardly noticeable (02:40).

A splendid clip. And very interesting. Thanks for posting it.
    Last edited by TimAndrews; 07-28-2014 at 11:11 PM. Reason: typo

You can use lens correction in post if you really want to have straight lines.

10. Default

Moved on a bit in the months since that vid! This is an edit from the British Drift Car Championship at Anglesey last weekend ( 20th Sept 14 )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast