Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burn Bluray PAL 720x576

1. Question Burn Bluray PAL 720x576

Greetings, I am using Vegas Pro 13 (x64) and wish to burn a bluray with settings PAL 720x576 50i.
    This option appears for DVD burning but no bluray burning, does anyone know why this option is not available?

Blog Entries

I can only guess that whoever decided on the options for burning discs directly from Vegas thought there wasn't much call for it. Unless you have Vegas Pro Edit edition, you will also have DVD architect which does allow you to burn BluRay at the spec you require.
    Tim

maybe Vegas Pro 13 doesn't have the feature.

Blog Entries

Sorry if I was unclear - it has the feature (burn DVD), just not that option (720x576/ 50i).
    Last edited by TimStannard; 07-28-2014 at 10:19 AM.
    Tim

Blu-ray does not support standard definition, it is high definition only, so you'd only be using Blu-ray if you're exporting 720 or 1080 material.

For standard definition use a DVD.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    Blu-ray does not support standard definition, it is high definition only,
    That was my initial reaction, but Wikipedia (I know!) and the fact that at least one disc authoring program has templates for it seems to suggest otherwise. As for why one migt want to do it - my guess would be to enable much longer programme content to be stored on one disc.

I may, of course, be entirely wrong in both suppositions
    Tim

It's not part of the original standard as far as I recall (I used to program duplication systems for a living).

Of course DVD does not officially support HD either, but some programs will allow you to write shorter programs to them and of course some players will play it too.

However, compatibility is not guaranteed.

For longer programs in SD, use dual layer DVD.

8. Default

Blu-ray does not support standard definition, it is high definition only, so you'd only be using Blu-ray if you're exporting 720 or 1080 material.

For standard definition use a DVD.
    Not true.
    I have burnt many bluray discs PAL 720x576 on software such as Cyberlink Power Director.

Quote Originally Posted by nic6 View Post
    Not true.
    I have burnt many bluray discs PAL 720x576 on software such as Cyberlink Power Director.
    I guess we're mincing words here. OK - it can be done, but it's not part of the design or supported in the specification, just like the DVD specification does not allow for HD video, but you can put HD on to DVD and *some* Blu-ray players with play it.

Just because you can do it doesn't mean it's going to work everywhere because it's not part of the specification. Blu-ray was never intended for standard definition - at least none of the official documentation I received from Sony / Philips while I was working in the industry even mentioned it. It was intended for 720 and 1080i footage only.

Blu-ray players were designed to read the UDF 2.0 specification whereas DVDs (standard definition) use the UDF 1.2 specification. While some players may read and play from the UDF1.2 disc as if it were a standard DVD (and in reality they should), others may required adherence to the 2.0 specification when detecting BD media, meaning the disc may not play.

Also, the DVD specification was not designed for media of 25GB and 50GB so if you plan on filling discs then unknown incompatibilities could result. In particular the layer split / spanning information will be at unexpected positions.

If you're mastering SD footage on to Blu-ray and it's working, continue doing so and have fun. But please, don't recommend it as something that could/should be used for video distribution. One of the reasons Vegas probably doesn't support it is because it's a Sony product and it's not part of the spec.

Out of interest, why do you want to put SD on to BD anyway?

10. Unhappy

I guess we're mincing words here. OK - it can be done, but it's not part of the design or supported in the specification, just like the DVD specification does not allow for HD video, but you can put HD on to DVD and *some* Blu-ray players with play it.

If you're mastering SD footage on to Blu-ray and it's working, continue doing so and have fun. But please, don't recommend it as something that could/should be used for video distribution. One of the reasons Vegas probably doesn't support it is because it's a Sony product and it's not part of the spec.

Out of interest, why do you want to put SD on to BD anyway?
    I have a lot of remastered music video footage from various European TV shows which I wish to burn onto 50GB bluray discs.

Each Disc will be holding about 8-9 hours of PAL 720x576 50i video, obviously a dual layer 7.6 GB DVD has not the capacity to hold so many titles.
    Last edited by nic6; 08-10-2014 at 08:45 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast