Thread: OPEN SOURCE video editing

1. Default OPEN SOURCE video editing

Hi, I am beginner but looking to make a prefosional documentary. i was looking for an open source video edeting at the level of sony vegas. THANK YOU!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mottel View Post
    Hi, I am beginner but looking to make a prefosional documentary. i was looking for an open source video edeting at the level of sony vegas. THANK YOU!!
    Just to clarify, by OPEN SOURCE are you looking for something you can edit and re-program and contribute back to the editing community or are you just looking for something that's world class but not want to pay for it ? i.e. it's free?

Not all open source projects are free.

Not all closed source projects cost money.

So, its important to know what your real goal is here

You may want to look at LightWorks : http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option...emid=206&tab=0
    Last edited by David Partington; 07-24-2014 at 10:07 AM.

If you are open to using Linux I recommend Openshot (because I use it).

4. Default

Thank you for your reply guys!

I am looking for world class with it having to pay - Lghtworks came up in my Google search, but I know nothing about it. Have you used it?

I don't use Linux I use Windows 7, although I'd like to switch to Mac in the future

Thank you!

It's a long time since I used it - but since lots of Hollywood pictures have been produced with it (see it's long list of movies on the web site) then you have to think they must be doing something right!

It's free for the base version. How much cheaper can you get?

It also has Windows, Linux and Mac versions. Note the Linux & Mac are very recent, all the Hollywood stuff was done on windows.

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    You may want to look at LightWorks : http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option...emid=206&tab=0
    Just out of morbid curiosity I downloaded the Lightworks (free version) to evaluate it. Quite a bit different from Sony Vegas Pro 12, but interesting. Unfortunately it does not recognize .WMV video compression and, although it could somewhat run some 720p WMV clips I have, there was a lot of breaks ups, skips and echos in the playback. It did not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling to pursue using it any further. Oh well, I guess you get what you pay for.

Anytime you're looking to do stuff for free you 're likely to have to do a little extra work yourself. If everything that was free was also totally awesome why would anyone ever pay for anything?

In this case you'd need to take the time and effort to transcode in to a more edit friendly format, not something that's likely to bother people in big productions with small budgets.

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    Anytime you're looking to do stuff for free you 're likely to have to do a little extra work yourself. If everything that was free was also totally awesome why would anyone ever pay for anything?

In this case you'd need to take the time and effort to transcode in to a more edit friendly format, not something that's likely to bother people in big productions with small budgets.
    Quite right, and that is why I bought Sony Vegas Pro and have used it successfully for some time now. I would recommend to our 'Beginner' who started this thread to INVEST in a good editing system from the get-go and not try to do things on the cheap.