Thread: Make a video appear like a time lapse?

1. Default Make a video appear like a time lapse?

Good Evening all,

I have been trying to find a way to make a normal video appear like a time lapse video in premiere pro cs6, I have been searching for a while now and although I can find other forum topics where someone is asking a similar question the responders have either misunderstood or have been unable to help.

Let me start by explaining what I am trying to achieve. I took a long car journey with my GoPro mounted on the dash, knowing that I would not have enough memory on the device to be able to record the whole journey I decided to timelapse it. I took a photo every 10 seconds, and imported these in to premiere pro as a timelapse showing ~8 frames per second (each frame would exist for approx. 3 frames in final render at 29.97fps) . I am happy with how this looks, however on the last leg of the journey I switched my GoPro to film as I wanted to capture some video of the area for use in another edit I am doing. Now to complete my journey time lapse edit I want to capture a frame every ten seconds of the footage and play it back at the rate of ~8 frames per second so I get the same look and feel as the rest of the time lapse.

I have been playing around with the posterize time effect and then speeding this footage back up, this does create a time lapse type look but it is not the exact one. I was wondering if someone knew a way of doing this, or could let me know if I am missing a simple trick here.

Thank you for your replies in advance.

TRWCJ.

Blog Entries

Does Premiere allow you to change the resample rate?
    Tim

3. Default

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I can only find information on resampling audio and not the video. I can convert the video to different frame rates, but really what I am trying to accomplish is to take every 240th frame (1 frame every 10 seconds if 24fps), and then drop that new video to about 8fps.

Regards,

TRWCJ.

My preference would be to:
    Import the video. Create a project from the clip. Examine the duration of the clip (hrs/mins/secs/frames). Use calculator (or brain) to use Premiere's "Speed/Duration' settings. Then, export the (hugely speeded up) results as a series of PNG files. Use those PNGs and add them to the timeline where the timelapse still images are.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    My preference would be to:
    Import the video. Create a project from the clip. Examine the duration of the clip (hrs/mins/secs/frames). Use calculator (or brain) to use Premiere's "Speed/Duration' settings. Then, export the (hugely speeded up) results as a series of PNG files. Use those PNGs and add them to the timeline where the timelapse still images are.
    Yes. That sounds like it would be just what I'm looking for. If I speed up the video to 2400% then export as png then I can just treat it like the rest. Thank you. I am out of the country until Thursday so I will let you know how I get on then.

Thanks,

TRWCJ.
    Last edited by TheRealWelshCJ; 07-22-2014 at 08:00 AM. Reason: autocorrect

6. Default

That looks like it did the trick. Rendering now. Thanks.