Thread: How do I do this effect? (water drops)

Default How do I do this effect? (water drops)

Hi,

I would like to know how can I do this effect, I'm using Sony Vegas by the way. The effect is at the beginning of this video and also around the minute 3:05

Thanks!

That's video of water on glass with an alpha channel, probably shot in front of green screen, keyed out (to get the alpha channel) and added as an overlay in post.

I suspect a further ingredient in the effect is how to distort (displace) the background, which would not occur if the foreground (water) was simply overlayed.

I agree Tim, you would need to add some displacement, perhaps in after effects etc. It's not the sort of thing easily done in an NLE.

The water being there seems totally random, especially at 3:05. It makes me wonder if there isn't something else (production wise) they are trying to cover up by distracting to towards the water?

Blog Entries

I don't have some green screened water to play with, but I suspect a bump map might sort out the displacement.

I'm sure I watched a tutorial not so long ago about how to create this effect, but I'm blowed if I can remember where/find it now....
    Tim

Another option. Put a sheet of glass between the camera and the background; and then pour or spray water onto the glass

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    Another option. Put a sheet of glass between the camera and the background; and then pour or spray water onto the glass
    Absolutely right, Tim. So often we look for a way of solving a problem when the old school way of doing it is the best.
    I recall watching a film made by a friend and asked him where he'd got the sound effect of something dropping into a bucket of water. His response? "I recorded something dropping into a bucket of water"
    Tim