Thread: Roudn edges and feathering

Default Roudn edges and feathering

Hi peeps.

I would like to round the edges of clips I am using in a PiP effect. I don't seem to be able to locate an effect which allows me to do this.

Another question concerning Edge Feathering. The effect seems quite stark in that there is not a gradual change from the non-feathered part of the clip to the feathered edge and so it just looks like a feathered edge border. Anyone any tips on how to get a better, smoother feathering effect?

No After Effects advice. The system I am working with doesn't have it.

For those who are wondering whether I have thrown in the towel with Liquid Edition, not so. I had a disk crash and an urgent video to do (thankfully I hadn't started) and the system I am using at the moment is borrowed from a bloody good mate - it has Premiere Pro 1.5 on it
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Blog Entries

Lloyd

There isn't a default setting to do this in Premiere, so it's yet another work around. This is the way I do it:

1. Creat a matte in your favoured image application with a white box as the "window" for the PIP, like so:

2. Import this image into Premiere and drop it in a video track above your video. Now turn this layer "off" by clicking on the "eye" icon to the far left of the timeline.

3. In the effects tab there's a "track matte" under keying. Drop this onto your video you want to give the round edges. In the effects control, set the Matte to the layer you've just place your image onto (the matte), and set the composite to Luma.

4. You'll now have rounded edges on your video. Now resize the video using the settings under motion to get a PIP effect and place it over the main video.

To feather edges, use the same effect, but graduate the fade from white to black.

Thanks for the tips.

I'll try that now.
    Lloyd

Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Excellent! Works a charm.

Thanks Marc
    Lloyd

Blog Entries

Cool. Would that be a default effect in Liquid?

Yes, one of the things I love about LE is not the 1000's of effects which come with it (as I haven't time to preview them all to see which ones are which) but that it comes with 4 very powerful effect editors:

2D Editor CPU
    2D Editor GPU
    3D Editor CPU
    3D Editor GPU

For the corner effect you can use any of those editors (it's in them all). The difference between the CPU and GPU editors are that all effects generated within the GPU editors do not require rendering. All those with the CPU require rendering but this takes place, as you know, in the background. Also, CPU editors do have some additional functionality. Here is the screen shot of the GPU editor I could use for the corner effect.

Lloyd

Blog Entries

Now that's cool

Default I can't get it to work!

Marc Peters,

I tried to apply the same effect and have been struggling with it for hours now and still can't get it to work. From what I understand, Lloyd wanted to have a smoothed out feathered effect around the border of the video. I want to do something similar...instead of a PIP, I just want to feather the outside edges of the video. Do I use the same procedure??? Because I tried and it didn't work.

Anyone else know how???