Thread: Graphic Memory Problems

Default Graphic Memory Problems

Hi -

I'm new here !

This looks like an interesting forum !

I'm an experienced 'videographer' - family holidays, weddings etc. but not too good with computers.

I use a Sony HDR-SR8 Handycam, shooting in HD.

For editing, I use Pinnacle Studio 14 [I recently got Studio 17 but haven't mastered that yet].

My problem is that, since I started editing in HD, things stop working properly !

Sometimes I get a message that I don't have sufficient Graphic Memory for HD editing !

I've got two PCs, Windows Vista & Windows 7.

I need advice on which PC to buy for my next upgrade !

Or is there a graphics card which would cure my problem ?

Colin

It may be a good idea to post what the specifications are for your PC rather than just the operating systems.

For good HD editing I would recommend and minimum of an Intel i5, preferred a recent i7 (Ivy Bridge or later).

8GB ram is minimum and 16GB or more preferred (subject to the software you're using). You also need this to be DDR3 since DDR2 is really holding a lot of people back.

For GPU I would highly recommend an NVidia card (for PC), though I'm not sure if Pinnacle can actually make use of it's capabilities.

Unless you have decent CPU & RAM, adding a new GPU may not make the difference you are hoping for. If you already have an fast CPU and lots of RAM then GPU would be the next thing.

After that, fast hard disks (SSD or RAID) can make a big difference, but really, we need to know more about what you have already before a specific course of action can be recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    It may be a good idea to post what the specifications are for your PC rather than just the operating systems.

For good HD editing I would recommend and minimum of an Intel i5, preferred a recent i7 (Ivy Bridge or later).

8GB ram is minimum and 16GB or more preferred (subject to the software you're using). You also need this to be DDR3 since DDR2 is really holding a lot of people back.

For GPU I would highly recommend an NVidia card (for PC), though I'm not sure if Pinnacle can actually make use of it's capabilities.

Unless you have decent CPU & RAM, adding a new GPU may not make the difference you are hoping for. If you already have an fast CPU and lots of RAM then GPU would be the next thing.

After that, fast hard disks (SSD or RAID) can make a big difference, but really, we need to know more about what you have already before a specific course of action can be recommended.
    Thanks for the reply, David !

My system comprises:

Processor: Intel [R] Core [TM] i7-2600K CPU @ 3.4 GHZ.

Memory [RAM] 16.0 GB [4x4 GB DDR3]

Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 5601

Total available graphics memory: 4095 MB

Dedicated graphics memory: 1024 MB

2 x 1 TB WD Caviar Black - SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB Cache

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Colin

That system is quite capable of editing full HD video..... you don't need to upgrade the hardware.... perhaps it's the software you need to be looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    That system is quite capable of editing full HD video..... you don't need to upgrade the hardware.... perhaps it's the software you need to be looking at.
    Thanks, David !

I've always found Pinnacle Studio a bit 'flaky'...

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Colin B View Post
    I've always found Pinnacle Studio a bit 'flaky'...
    TBH I've never used it so can't comment on it either way.

Blog Entries

Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 5601

Total available graphics memory: 4095 MB

Dedicated graphics memory: 1024 MB
    I suspect that Pinnacle is seeing this 1024MB and somewhere and deciding it's not enough.

I'm a little unclear. Is the graphic built into the motherboard? If so, increase the dedicated graphics memory and see if that makes a difference.
    If not (ie if you have a separate video card), it looks like you have on-board graphics enabled and allocated 1024MB) which is what Pinnacle is seeing. Disable On-board graphics.

Of course I might be barking up the wrong tree, but worth a look/try?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I suspect that Pinnacle is seeing this 1024MB and somewhere and deciding it's not enough.

I'm a little unclear. Is the graphic built into the motherboard? If so, increase the dedicated graphics memory and see if that makes a difference.
    If not (ie if you have a separate video card), it looks like you have on-board graphics enabled and allocated 1024MB) which is what Pinnacle is seeing. Disable On-board graphics.

Of course I might be barking up the wrong tree, but worth a look/try?
    Thanks for the reply, Tim !

I already said that I'm no computer expert, although I'm not a beginner, either !

But I'd need some guidance on how to 'increase the dedicated graphics memory' or 'disable on-board graphics' !

Blog Entries

But I'd need some guidance on how to 'increase the dedicated graphics memory' or 'disable on-board graphics' !
    Unfortunately that differs from Computer to Computer. Basically you will need to get into the BIOS. When you turn on you may briefly see a message such as "Press Del to Enter Setup". That's what you want to do. But it's not always Del. And it's not always described as setup!

When you do get into it you'll see a blocky type menu (like DOS days, if you remember those) Just text, often yellow text on blue background, sometimes white on black. You are probably loooking for something like "Integrated Peripherals". This will (may) lead you to a sub-menu which enable you to enable or disable various features on your motherboard (audio, network interface) and assign certain values. Video may be described as VGA or graphics.

Follow your nose. You might possibly make your computer inoperable, but you'd have to try very, very hard to do so. Or very, very unlucky. That's just my warning to cover myself. Have a go!
    Tim