Thread: Goodwood festival of speed

Blog Entries

Default Goodwood festival of speed

Went to goodwood festival of speed on Friday. Great day out. One thing that surprised me was the abundance of DSLRs, and the lack of camcorders. Very few people took video.

Last edited by Marc Peters; 06-30-2014 at 11:26 PM.

Nicely put together Marc. Two points I would have liked the audio of the motorcycle 0:28 and the shot of the switches was used twice 0:34 & 0:51, nice shot but I didn't need to see it twice.

When you say very few people took video do you mean they didn't shoot video with their DSLRs ?

The pedestrians at 00:38 somehow take off the pace.
    I also mind the double switches.
    Overall I liked it and it could have been even longer for me.

Blog Entries

I have no idea how I ended up putting those switches in twice. Only noticed after uploading.

I didn't see anyone else filming with the exception of one chap with a DVD camcorder (who wasn't using it).

Would have been lovely to have edited something longer, but what you see is more of less all that's useable!

Blog Entries

Cracking film Marc. An example of something to aim for by all who post similar events here. Nearly every shot was more than usable (we'll ignore the one that was so good you used it twice!)
    I had no problem with the pedestrians but I found the shot at 54s wasn't quite in keeping with the rest of the shots (the only static shot of a whole car)

As for DSLRs, I'm surprised that you're surprised! The constant barrage of comments about how great DSLR footage is (with some justification), the comparatively low cost of very good DSLR footage over the past few years means that anyone with an interest in producing good video probably isn't even offered the choice of a camcorder. People who, like myself, got into video because they wanted a few moving snapshots of their kids no longer need to start off with a "beginners" camcorder as they have a perfectly good one on their phone. Depending on the type of film they progress to (if they do progress) they are likely to progress to a GoPro or a DSLR or both.

Something like the Sony AX100 might try o keep the consumer camcorder market alive but it's hardly at a price point where someone will take a punt to try video. At least with a DSLR one gets the doubly whammy of being able to take good stills.

The camcorder will very soon (if it hasn't already) become obsolete as a consumer product. It will still be necessary (for a while?) for broadcast - especially ENG, but this means that entry level will be considerably more than the £250 I spent on my first camcorder.

One of the benefits that seems to have come out of this is I don't see as many "bad" DSLR videos as I used to see bad camcorder videos. I wonder if this is down to the fact that to get anything at all ou of a DSLR one has to invest time and consequently people take more time over choosing and composing their shots.

Sorry if I've wandered way off topic, but you did mention it
    Tim

Blog Entries

Thanks Tim. It's less that people had expensive stills cameras and more that no one was taking amateur video. Sure, one or two had a gopro (with no screen) and a few used their phones, but the number of stills to video was a massive ratio. I see the same pattern with tourists in London. It's no wonder the forums are no where near as busy as amateur photography sites (and the really busy video sites are those that aimed at pros or wannabes).

It also supports why I can never find videos on YouTube of events like goodwood (other than one or two truly awful ones).

Whenever someone posts a car video, I always think "I reckon I could have done better". Now that I've done a few, I can say that it's tricky to get some decent stuff to work with, particularly where you are a spectator with limited access. You,re often limited to using very long lenses behind fences, barriers and other spectators. On one occasion I found a lovely spot with room enough fir a tripod. Unfortunately someone else thought it was good too and stuck a gopro in my line of sight.

In terms of ease if shooting, I found rallying the easiest due to less restrictive fencing and the greater chance of something exciting happening.

I'd love to have unrestricted access to pits and the track for a race weekend.

Nice little vid ! 6R4 ... slumph :
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933