Thread: Online music copyright

1. Default Online music copyright

Hi

I've made a wedding trailer to put on Vimeo and Facebook. Eventually, it'll also go on my website when it's ready in October. It's edited to a popular song so I sent PRS (www.prsformusic.com) an email asking them what type of license I needed for this and they replied that if I wasn't hosting the video it was up to the hosting site to get copyright approval. I know Vimeo now flag copyrighted material so not sure exactly what I have to do to get clearance. Is there some kind of annual license I can buy which covers me for the use of songs in internet videos? I thought PRS provided this but I might be wrong. What do you guys do? Thanks

Putting stuff on the internet is regarded the same as broadcasting. PRS do licence this but it is silly money for your sort of thing. If you publish to YouTube you will be covered by the Youtube agreement with the music industry. You will get adverts when playing the video but you will be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlstan View Post
    Hi

I've made a wedding trailer to put on Vimeo and Facebook. Eventually, it'll also go on my website when it's ready in October. It's edited to a popular song so I sent PRS (www.prsformusic.com) an email asking them what type of license I needed for this and they replied that if I wasn't hosting the video it was up to the hosting site to get copyright approval. I know Vimeo now flag copyrighted material so not sure exactly what I have to do to get clearance. Is there some kind of annual license I can buy which covers me for the use of songs in internet videos? I thought PRS provided this but I might be wrong. What do you guys do? Thanks
    PRS just fed you a line because you weren't going to write them a big cheque

just think of PRS as a bunch of posh tw@s who aren't interested unless you've got money coming out the wazoo (they will check)

dont use popular songs - spend five minutes on the Internet and find artistic material with a copyright you can live with

actually Tim S played a very respectable cover of a Beatles song on a recent video so you should ask him

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    PRS just fed you a line because you weren't going to write them a big cheque

just think of PRS as a bunch of posh tw@s who aren't interested unless you've got money coming out the wazoo (they will check)

dont use popular songs - spend five minutes on the Internet and find artistic material with a copyright you can live with

actually Tim S played a very respectable cover of a Beatles song on a recent video so you should ask him
    Thanks. Most of the wedding trailers I've seen though do use popular songs. Can't seem to get an answer on how to obtain copyright apart from contacting each separate publisher for every song used. Surely, there must be an easier way?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Howlstan View Post
    Thanks. Most of the wedding trailers I've seen though do use popular songs. Can't seem to get an answer on how to obtain copyright apart from contacting each separate publisher for every song used. Surely, there must be an easier way?
    It may be that many wedding videographers have the licence for the DVDs (Limited Manufacture) but just take a punt on sticking the trailer on-line. I doubt any will admit to it on an open forum so it might be worth PMing one or two.
    As for my cover of a Beatles song, I suspect that could well get pulled but in my defense I have a licence which allows me to use commercially available recordings on amateur work for festivals etc. YouTube is a bit of a grey area as far as that licence is concerned.
    Tim