Thread: my new local video based on lads going to war in ww1

Default my new local video based on lads going to war in ww1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhYqBv4jL3Q
    100 years ago this year some young lads stood on the Green in Stanford le Hope and waved a Union Jack before setting off for a Great War.

An interesting idea, but it left me unsatisfied. Warren Mitchell's singing is not very nice and the 'old' actor singing the song looked like a Clive Dunn impersonator.

Perhaps I expect too much, but I am not sure I get any message from the clip. History shows how most the troops were naive and how patriotic songs helped swell the number of recruits. IMHO, whilst returning troops are cause for celebration, their parting is unpleasant. Attempting to make it a celebration by using patriotic songs reminds me more of the sentiments in the stage show "Oh! What a lovely war".

I did like how you managed to include lots of local people. It is warming reminder of the significance of 'community'; and everyone did very well. I was hoping we might hasve seen them dressed up - to depict how the local people really looked at the time. That would have allowed the opening photograph to be a more active ingredient. And location? I did not like seeing the cars moving across the screen.

A small point, but in the final screen on the placement of the words "We shall remember them", Need to be a bit lower - is too close to words "1914-1918".

Now unavailable . . .
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Now unavailable . . .
    Hmmm.. 10.40 pm and I can see it?
    I have to agree with TimA about the message of the clip or lack thereof. Perhaps you hadn't really given that any thought but just wanted to commemorate the fallen in an uplifing manner, but this seemed dangerously close to lampooning them (which I'm sure wasn't the intention). Warren Mitchell, known chiefly as a comic actor, the actors dressed up as an old man (weren't they chiefly young men who were drafted?) and the rather small number of people contributing to the "parade" all contributed to this impression (perhaps you could have filmed a bit closer to give the impression of more folk).. This is a great shame as I think the idea has good potential and only just misses. I suspect the problem is that you have a good idea, but not enough ideas for material.

Watch out for unlevel shots - they can cheapen the film dramatically.

Well done on the costumes and getting so many people involved though.
    Tim

thanks you for the feedback.
    yes the cars moving were a pain, I tried to get the road shut off but this could not be done due to other events this summer.
    the Alf Garnet is in fact the Vicar, the lady that moves towards the middle of the end shot is the great granddaughter of the guy with the flag in the photo. the lads left for a Great War. the idea of the video was to celebrate them as the photo was taken 100 years ago next month. O did not wish to make the video too down. the old members in the video are all local war heroes and well know in the area for what they did. on the day of filming the big part there was meant to be 10 ex forces turn up but they did not, this in my view changed the feeling of the ending, if there had been lots of forces there I don't think it would of had that in your face happy feel. it took me 3 months to get the uniforms and I could only have them for two days and that still cost far too much.

its had 1413 views, my last one "happy " had 12000 views so I think you are onto something with what you have all said.
    shame this one cost so much to make.
    do you know how hard it is to buy that flag right now lol all you can get was the England flag

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shaner View Post
    its had 1413 views, my last one "happy " had 12000 views so I think you are onto something with what you have all said.
    I have a sneaky feeling that might have more to do with the music.

Blog Entries

1413 views is incredibly good given the time and the subject. Marc is absolutely right.

My TutTut! posted a little it before had exposure to a whole school who knew the kids involved. It was similar to a previous video (which was shown at a "banquet" to the whole school) which was very popular with the kids. It was "promoted" on my wife's fb page (and shared on many others) where the parents look, I plugged it here, on Twitter (I have one and a half followers) and on my fb page. After 48 hours it had a couple of hundred views. But it's not at all disappointing.

The point is these are real views, by people who are doing more than clicking and then clicking away or people just after the latest fad. I could probably increase the views by adding tags like "Pharell Williams" "Happy" "Cat" "Pussy" "Cute" or "Sex Tape". In fact I suspect if I added "Beatles" I'd do quite well. But what's the point? It won't get millions of views, and the majority of people who click it because of that tag will be disappointed and click away.

I have a video that has in excess of 116,000 views. It's an incredibly dry (but well explained) description of a particular method of pointing brickwork! It was a very slow burn, but given the subject, I know that nearly all those 116,000 viewers were genuinely interested in the subject and thus were "proper" views and watched all the way through.

My point? Unless getting lots of views is the specific point of a video, the number of views is not a measure of the video's success.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    1413 views is incredibly good given the time and the subject. Marc is absolutely right.

My TutTut! posted a little it before had exposure to a whole school who knew the kids involved. It was similar to a previous video (which was shown at a "banquet" to the whole school) which was very popular with the kids. It was "promoted" on my wife's fb page (and shared on many others) where the parents look, I plugged it here, on Twitter (I have one and a half followers) and on my fb page. After 48 hours it had a couple of hundred views. But it's not at all disappointing.

The point is these are real views, by people who are doing more than clicking and then clicking away or people just after the latest fad. I could probably increase the views by adding tags like "Pharell Williams" "Happy" "Cat" "Pussy" "Cute" or "Sex Tape". In fact I suspect if I added "Beatles" I'd do quite well. But what's the point? It won't get millions of views, and the majority of people who click it because of that tag will be disappointed and click away.

I have a video that has in excess of 116,000 views. It's an incredibly dry (but well explained) description of a particular method of pointing brickwork! It was a very slow burn, but given the subject, I know that nearly all those 116,000 viewers were genuinely interested in the subject and thus were "proper" views and watched all the way through.

My point? Unless getting lots of views is the specific point of a video, the number of views is not a measure of the video's success.
    Tim Thank you for that post, yes most of the hits for Happy were local hits due to it ending up in all the local papers and on their websites, this new video is not going to be to many tastes. all my video are about trying to get the area I live in to help each other and a bit of local spirit , as I posted this one is based on local history. but since posting it the locals feel they want another dance one lol. I am about top start work on the next one but might take some time as I am running a event in the park for the kids soon soon and that's taking up a lot of my time, also I make thing out of clay like snowman and pumpkins and bunnies and hide them around my area then post clues on our local facebook page for the mums and dads to work out then go and find them with their children, so far I have done 90 snowman , 80 pumpkins and 70 bunnies lol, this summer I am making happy suns and putting in a gift sheet, they take it to a shop and can change it for a ice pole that I have paid for, there will be a 100 of them, I love growing up in my area and I wish the kids that live here now to feel the same.