Thread: DSL shooting issue

Default DSL shooting issue

Hey guys, new here!!! Excited to meet a group of people that shares the same hobby. (Some of you might even be profession)!

I am a decent video editor but my weaknesses come from using the camera to film.

Here is a video: You will see the image is terrible, any idead of what it could be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtaPA...ature=youtu.be filmed at 720p 60 fps Just look at the shirt or anything that has lines in general.

Thanks a lot guys!You rock!
    Last edited by Marc Gela; 06-18-2014 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Forgot to upload link

That looks like a combination of noise, bad codec compression and moiré. The coloured moving pattern is called moiré and is a result of fine lines in the material being sampled (and down scaled) differently as it shifts across the sensor.

What camera did you use for the 720/60p? Nikon & earlier Canon DSLRs were well know for this problem and shooting at 720p instead of 1080p made it even worse!

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    What camera did you use for the 720/60p? Nikon & earlier Canon DSLRs were well know for this problem and shooting at 720p instead of 1080p made it even worse!
    David, I used a 600d yeah. I have to shoot in 720p as I shoot a lot of action sports with high movement and 1080p only allows me to go 30fps.

Thanks for the quick reply I will look into a fix for it.

Thanks!

There is no 'fix' for this problem on a crop sensor DSLR as far as I know.

Mosaic Engineering made a filter for the 5D2 that fit over the sensor but I don't think they ever make one for the crop cameras.

The best you can hope for is to reduce the in-camera sharpening to minimum, reduce the contrast by a couple of notches and see what happens. You'll need to re-adjust the colours and sharpening in editing, but hopefully that's not too much of a problem for you.

DSLRs, even at 720/60p are not really ideal for shooting sports. Proper video cameras (e.g. the HF-G30 etc) which can do 1080/60p are a better solution.

Have been doing some music video shooting, how I can get rid of myself showing in the sunshade of the artist in front of me...

I saw some video on YouTube but i don't know how to get those x light to create effect on the sun shade

I saw ring light on ebay but i want something like x and continuous circle with different color on the artist sun shade moving...

This are example of what i want
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Dwt1OWuWg from 2:51

Example 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj9y...FDSBYvl5ZfoSEA
    Where can i get this light?

Example 3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HygcuEjavDs

I have google it but I cannot find those X light
    Thanks

For the moiré issue try shooting a little bit soft (in the camera settings, not focus) then sharpen the image in post, it seems to help with my Nikon.