Thread: Capturing a still frame

Default Capturing a still frame

I am basically just asking a technical question. I converted a DVD video to MP4 video format; I used the mp4 video to create a still image in Premiere pro CS6 by using Premieres camera icon to capture the still, I noticed that the images are fairly small: 5.6 x 10 inches at 72dpi. I am just wondering why it can't make a larger image when that image is projected onto a large TV screen. Or even to capture a larger DPI. Is this the result of my mp4 conversion? Should I be doing something else to achieve a better still? Any insight is greatly appreciated. I am not familiar by the technical details of this process. Thanks

I don't quite follow. DVDs are standard definition, so typically will be only 1024x576 pixels for PAL and something similar (lower vertical res) for NTSC when converted to square pixels.

Can you make it bigger? Of course, you can resize (bigger) in photoshop etc, but you aren't creating any new information, you're simply making the image even softer by stretching it.

DPI is irrelevant, don't get confused by DPI or PPI. It's the number of pixels that are important here.

All I am wondering is why the still frame image capture in Premiere is so small from a DVD VOB file. It comes to only 6.7 by 10 inch by 72 resolution (720 by 480 pixels). I am just going by the image size using Photoshop. Now if I am capturing a still image from video footage from my Nikon Camera in Premiere, the still capture is fairly large. The DVD was made by someone for a High School play. If I had the original digital footage, I would end up with a much better still frame but I don't have it. I was trying to get some decent still frame pictures out of a DVD. I know of no other method than using a VOB video file.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rayi23 View Post
    All I am wondering is why the still frame image capture in Premiere is so small from a DVD VOB file. It comes to only 6.7 by 10 inch by 72 resolution (720 by 480 pixels). I am just going by the image size using Photoshop. Now if I am capturing a still image from video footage from my Nikon Camera in Premiere, the still capture is fairly large. The DVD was made by someone for a High School play. If I had the original digital footage, I would end up with a much better still frame but I don't have it. I was trying to get some decent still frame pictures out of a DVD. I know of no other method than using a VOB video file.
    David P is correct. You haven't understood what he has said.

720 x 480 pixels is the correct size for a Standard Definition (ie DVD definition) if you are in the USA or any other regions that use NTSC. Assuming the original digital image was captured using the NTSC system the your still IS the size of the original digital footage.If you had captured from the original source you might have ended up with a better still frame as it is possible that the original was captured using an interlaced method and so the still produced has had to be interpolated from two consecutive frames, but you would not have got any more pixels.

In case you are wondering, 720:480 does not give either of the common screen ratios 4:3 or 16:9 because the pixels in NTSC (or PAL come to that) are not square - so this is another adjustment that can affect the final image)

Yes, your DVD TV images ARE 720 x 480. Anw we never used to complain about that when DVDs were launched!
    Last edited by TimStannard; 06-19-2014 at 07:58 AM.
    Tim