Thread: Must see music video/song shot in 80+ locations

1. Default Must see music video/song shot in 80+ locations

8 months in the making with 80+ locations this thing felt like it would never be finished at points but here it is finally.
    Would love to hear any comments or feedback.
    Hope you enjoy

Also if you like the tune you can download for free, link in video description.

Tonight - (Official Video)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpjEhjWe08Y

Blog Entries

Nicely done video. I liked the mix of different shots. Despite being basically a guy playing guitar you managed to get a lot of mileage out of it by putting him into not just different locations, but different positions/angles whatever. Shots changed frequently but not so much as to feel rushed - I guess I'm saying I liked the pacing.
    There were some issues with the look between different shots (hardly surprising given the range of locations and time over which it was shot) and this sometimes niggled - particularly with some shots clearly shot in harsh contrast environments and others shot in low light where the noise levels were evident.
    The song, and the singer's presentation was rather weak. This is a shame as the song had a perfectly good feel and he has quite a pleasing warm voice.
    Tim

Nice song. The shots were quite random. Something more telling a story could have been better. Maybe at least some sequences showing how the artist travels from one location to the other would have work but somehow I liked it anyway

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Nicely done video. I liked the mix of different shots. Despite being basically a guy playing guitar you managed to get a lot of mileage out of it by putting him into not just different locations, but different positions/angles whatever. Shots changed frequently but not so much as to feel rushed - I guess I'm saying I liked the pacing.
    There were some issues with the look between different shots (hardly surprising given the range of locations and time over which it was shot) and this sometimes niggled - particularly with some shots clearly shot in harsh contrast environments and others shot in low light where the noise levels were evident.
    The song, and the singer's presentation was rather weak. This is a shame as the song had a perfectly good feel and he has quite a pleasing warm voice.
    Hello Tim, cheers for your feedback and glad to hear you enjoyed it. Totally agree the contrast and colour stage was a bit of a nightmare lol. I was ment to have someone pro colour the thing but wasn't happy with the result so i did myself.
    Thanks again

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    Nice song. The shots were quite random. Something more telling a story could have been better. Maybe at least some sequences showing how the artist travels from one location to the other would have work but somehow I liked it anyway
    Thanks, i know what you mean the whole thing is a little random but i just wanted to try some thing simple and different. Pro could have done with more thought on the story side of things.
    Cheers

Well done for completing it. So many people start things and never finish them.

Agree with many points above and would add that while the number of different shots is admirable, I really would have liked to see more movement in them rather than (pretty much) all being static camera positions. Careful use of a slider and/or jib would increase the production value immensely.

Where the camera isn't moving then having the subject move can also help (e.g. walking instead of being stood still on the beach as 4:08 ), and of course subject and camera moving in harmony is even better. I realise many people don't have the right kit, so that does of course make it hard.

Again, well done for finishing it. Logging and syncing all those shots must have been fun

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    Well done for completing it. So many people start things and never finish them.

Agree with many points above and would add that while the number of different shots is admirable, I really would have liked to see more movement in them rather than (pretty much) all being static camera positions. Careful use of a slider and/or jib would increase the production value immensely.

Where the camera isn't moving then having the subject move can also help (e.g. walking instead of being stood still on the beach as 4:08 ), and of course subject and camera moving in harmony is even better. I realise many people don't have the right kit, so that does of course make it hard.

Again, well done for finishing it. Logging and syncing all those shots must have been fun
    Thanks for info & ideas, indeed i will try more with the movement in the next few videos!!
    Yes it was so much work but i kinda did really enjoy going about it all, of course there was days when i was pulling my hair out haha but got there in the end.
    Thanks again David

As David, the previous poster said, well done for completing it! I feel as if, there is nothing better than seeing a finished product that you've worked on for a while (8 months with so many locations, definitely agree it would of felt like it'd never finish). But, you did it so well done!
    I do agree with Tim when he said the singers presentation was rather weak. I guess the best way for me to describe it is, when I was watching the music video, I could definitely tell that the video clip and the song were two different things and that the singer was just trying to lip sync it. Maybe a lack of emotion, I don't know. I am not the best at describing things.
    Also, I agree with there being too many static shots rather than some movement from the camera. But, as David said, may not have the right kit to do that without it looking terrible. But, well done and hope to an improved future in Music (and music videos) for you!

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey64 View Post
    As David, the previous poster said, well done for completing it! I feel as if, there is nothing better than seeing a finished product that you've worked on for a while (8 months with so many locations, definitely agree it would of felt like it'd never finish). But, you did it so well done!
    I do agree with Tim when he said the singers presentation was rather weak. I guess the best way for me to describe it is, when I was watching the music video, I could definitely tell that the video clip and the song were two different things and that the singer was just trying to lip sync it. Maybe a lack of emotion, I don't know. I am not the best at describing things.
    Also, I agree with there being too many static shots rather than some movement from the camera. But, as David said, may not have the right kit to do that without it looking terrible. But, well done and hope to an improved future in Music (and music videos) for you!
    Hi Lake64, thanks for talking the time to check it out and for your comment.
    There's always room to improve and hence the reason i'm on here asking for others thoughts and suggestions.
    Already starting working on the next one
    Thanks

10. Default

For anyone who enjoyed the video grab a FREE DOWNLOAD of the song here https://www.facebook.com/chriskeysofficial