Thread: Advertise your price or not?

Default Advertise your price or not?

Quick question to everyone involved in a video production company, do you advertise your prices or not? The reason I was considering not posting clear prices was because some clients are just more work and require more than others do. At the same time, I think that advertising prices is a great way to have people get an immediate sense of what you offer and I know that I get frustrated if I cannot find prices on websites if I am searching for them. Some companies do, others do not.

What is your advice about this? Do you list your prices or do you have people contact you?

I advertise my prices. I don't care about competitors seeing my prices. I think showing the customer up front makes them feel comfortable about the price or gets rid of time wasters.

I hope anyone who want's me to film something for them does so because they like my work but most people who contact me just want freebies.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    but most people who contact me just want freebies.
    So you don't advertise the price of your freebies, then?
    Tim

That's right Tim. When I do a freebie, I hit them with a suprise invoice after it's all done. It's the only way I make any money.

Blog Entries

Ah-ha! The element of surprise! Just like the Spanish Inquisition. Do they retaliate with an element of surprise or are you not surprised when they don't pay?

But back to the more serious point of the first post. I see little point in not advertising your prices - where it can be reasonably priced - it must save time-wasters and potentially bring in business from those who might have thought they couldn't afford you.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 06-17-2014 at 07:30 PM.
    Tim

Blog Entries

As a consumer, if I don't see a price, I move on and look elsewhere.

Blog Entries

I replied in haste. Let me expand on that. If I don't see a price, option list or fixed cost for a defined product or service, I assume that it's too expensive or over priced. Not providing costs for a bespoke or tailored service is understandable. It would be nice to have an indicative range, but this can often be unhelpful or misleading. So it depends what service you will be providing, and your target market. For corporate work, I wouldn't expect prices to be shown.

I think editing is the hardest thing to price accurately. I have an hourly rate but no one pays the true number of hours I spend editing a piece, even though I've learnt to edit really fast these days.

I agree with MB - For us, weddings are priced for all to see as we know roughly how long that piece of string is, the corporate side is always more difficult as once each member of the 'committee' get the option to alter something, they inevitably will and don't realise the consequences of 'just deleting that scene'.
    Filming always takes longer than anticipated and the editing, (if you're passionate) takes a little piece of your soul every time. The torment of 'making' something work well for the client can't be priced, and ball park figures are usually overridden by miles, but nearly always, (unless they're absolute pedantics for the sake of it) absorbed by us as goodwill. It all goes with the territory though.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club