Thread: How to reduce video size without video quality loss?

Default How to reduce video size without video quality loss?

Hello friends. I want to upload some gameplay videos to youtube and I'm using the DXtory capture software to record the videos. Unfortunately however I've found that the video size for a one hour video came out to be over 40 gigs! Way too big...

2 questions:

1) Is there any software I can download to convert the video file to a much smaller size without significantly losing quality?

2) And/or is there a way to set the DXtory settings such that it will record videos with a significantly smaller size?

Thanks a lot in advance.

One of the best tools for this would be HandBrake and best of all it's free. It's going to take quite a while to re-compress an hour of video, but I suggest trying a shorter section first to see if it meets your needs.

Understand one thing though.... when you reduce the final output size, you will lose SOME quality. That's inevitable. The question is how small you can make it and it still be reasonable.

Don't get too caught up in ultimate quality though. If your film content (game?) is interesting enough, the viewer will be watching the content and not the quality.

Next, do you REALY need to upload an hour in one go? Thats an awful lot to expect people to watch (and most people won't watch a full hour). How about splitting that in to different videos for each level?

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    One of the best tools for this would be HandBrake and best of all it's free. It's going to take quite a while to re-compress an hour of video, but I suggest trying a shorter section first to see if it meets your needs.

Understand one thing though.... when you reduce the final output size, you will lose SOME quality. That's inevitable. The question is how small you can make it and it still be reasonable.

Don't get too caught up in ultimate quality though. If your film content (game?) is interesting enough, the viewer will be watching the content and not the quality.

Next, do you REALY need to upload an hour in one go? Thats an awful lot to expect people to watch (and most people won't watch a full hour). How about splitting that in to different videos for each level?
    Hi man, thanks for your response. Yeah, I'd really like it to be a full hour long (average length I presume it will take) as I hope to do the full episode in one sitting. It's what will distinguish my videos from the other playthroughs of the game currently on youtube. I just like the idea of one single, full playthrough of each episode of the game as opposed to level by level playthroughs. I plan on marking the levels in the video by providing time-clicks in the description.