Thread: Ok a different question, what camera

Default Ok a different question, what camera

I know, really only I can decide, but I appreciate advice.

3-5k available

Looking at the Canon C100 mainly due to interchangeable lenses as I have Canon lenses.

However there are many PRO what I would call ""video cameras" out there of the "old" design.

I shoot sports.....

https://www.facebook.com/JRSPhotography.co.uk

Need a good video camera, in fact I need 2.

I want to place a decent 1.5k ish one on this https://soloshot.com/ (soloshot TWO) unless someone has a better one in mind

And have one good(ish) camera (the better one) on a mount where I can go out on piers et

Advice please

OK - as I've said in other posts, I have a C100, it's an awesome camera, I love it. It's my go to camera.

BUT

I would not select the C100 for sports. It's AF is not designed for tracking high speed moving objects in the same way regular video cameras are simply because the lenses are not designed for that type of movement.

Could you use it for sports? Sure. Can it track moving objects. Absolutely, but does that make it the best tool for the job? Well, that would depend on the sports I think, but I would look long and hard at what else is out there before buying the C100 primarily for sports.

Even the XA-20 will run rings around the C100 for the type of thing you're looking for. In fact, that's probably where I'd look first, but don't discount the new Sony & Pansonic models either.

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    OK - as I've said in other posts, I have a C100, it's an awesome camera, I love it. It's my go to camera.

BUT

I would not select the C100 for sports. It's AF is not designed for tracking high speed moving objects in the same way regular video cameras are simply because the lenses are not designed for that type of movement.

Could you use it for sports? Sure. Can it track moving objects. Absolutely, but does that make it the best tool for the job? Well, that would depend on the sports I think, but I would look long and hard at what else is out there before buying the C100 primarily for sports.

Even the XA-20 will run rings around the C100 for the type of thing you're looking for. In fact, that's probably where I'd look first, but don't discount the new Sony & Pansonic models either.

I am most grateful that you replied, as this is THE one area I will be using it for.

If anyone here has any advice on what cameras to use between 2-4K it would be so much appreciated.

Thank you again for helping. As this is a massive investment being self employed I appreciate the comments.

If you can get a NIkon D4 at a very good price it will serve you the best.
    Last edited by ccorey; 07-17-2014 at 03:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ccorey View Post
    Please explain, in what way, I see the D4 as a stills camera

Quote Originally Posted by ccorey View Post
    I disagree. The D4 would be terrible for sports video, and yes I've shot with a D3S and D4 and wouldn't even dream of picking one up for sports video any more than I'd recommend a 5D3 or 1Dx. It's just not what they were built to do.