Thread: Burning a Bluray disk with DVDA

Default Burning a Bluray disk with DVDA

I'm trying to burn a Bluray using DVDA when I put the blank disk in the drive Windows recognises it and askes me what I want to do so I select cancel but when I try and burn the image with DVDA I keep getting the error message please put in a writable disk. I thought it might just be a bad disk so I took off the cellophane from another one and got the same error message.

Any ideas ?

Does the drive actually write those discs within Windows? Is it just DVDA that's having problems?

What brand of drive is ? I have experience of some drives not liking some media. They know they have media, when when you issue (programatic) commands to fully interrogate the disc for writing, they fail.

Have you written Blu-ray discs before on this drive from DVDA?

Yes the disks run fine in Windows, in fact my "work around" was to use the Windows burning tool and it worked fine. I guess I must have told DVDA something stupid for it to be doing something stupid.

The disks are Verbatim it says BD-RE on the case which doesn't mean anything to me. I can't remember if I've made a Bluray with DVDA before. It's such a raraty that someone asks for one.

I don't mind so much if it's a dodgy disk it's not knowing if the fault is mine or not.

BD-RE means they are erasable and re-writable. That's great for testing, because you can erase them if you screw up and re-write them again, albeit more slowly than BD-R which can only be burned once.

If you plan on distributing them then I recommend BD-R over BD-RE since BD-R have a higher compatibility with players than BD-RE.

It could be that DVDA needs a specific setting for it to write to BD-RE discs, or maybe it can't write them at all (which would be odd). There are different commands that need to be sent to the recorder to initialise a BD-RE instead of BD-R, so if your version of DVDA is older than BD-RE then it may or may not be able to do it.

Since I've never used DVDA I can't help you with that part I'm afraid ! Sorry!

I suppose it's possible that my version of DVDA can't accept Re-write-able disks, I just don't know but as it's such a rare occurrence it's not too much of a big deal to do it the way I did.

MB,
    what's your setting in DVDA Pro Options / Preferences / Burning > Use legacy disc drivers.
    Try selecting/unselecting.

I have that option ticked.

Blog Entries

Bit of an off topic deviation (call it an abuse of admin privileges) but it's been years since I produced a DVD. In fact probably not since I ran away screaming from the my brief foray into wedding videos. I guess that's mainly a reflection of not ever playing DVDs - everything is online or on networked drives.

Is this business or pleasure Dave?

MB,
    did you try that option unticked? Several reports including a reference to advice from SCS support on the SCS Forum claim this works.
    http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...ssageID=793707
    Last edited by vkmast; 06-12-2014 at 11:25 PM.

Thanks VK, I'll give it a try if I have to produce another Bluray.

@Mark, I very rarely produce any form of disk. This was for a charity to be played in a cinema so it needed to be 1080p. It's technically only business if you get paid for doing the work.