Thread: Video editing software recommendations.

Default Video editing software recommendations.

Hi,
    I've just recently shot some gliding down at my local club with my Drift Ghost-S and would like to know what editing software you guy's or girls would recommend. My price budget for the software is probably going to be around 100.Might be able to get the adobe final cut pro but the chances of that is very slim.

hI,
    i would download a trial version of fcpx if you have a mac its easy to learn the basics of it and has some great effects that you just drag and drop onto your footage/timeline. Think you get 30 days free but mine seem to not expire so even better. You can get a free trial of adobe premier cc which has some good qualities too. There are a ton of free ones which Im sure you are aware of, it depends on if this is a one off project or ongoing. cheers

I don't have a Mac but I have Windows.The type of footage I shoot is a one off where if it where to be deleted it would no longer exist.

Quote Originally Posted by NobleWizard View Post
    Might be able to get the adobe final cut pro but the chances of that is very slim.
    Since you are on Windows then Final Cut Pro won't be for you, since it's an Apple product, not Adobe, and runs on Mac only.

What format are the files? I'm going to assume AVCHD. With this in mind most modern editing software will work with it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    Since you are on Windows then Final Cut Pro won't be for you, since it's an Apple product, not Adobe, and runs on Mac only.

What format are the files? I'm going to assume AVCHD. With this in mind most modern editing software will work with it.
    The reason why I said me getting Final Cut Pro would be very slim is because the Adobe Final Cut Pro is very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by NobleWizard View Post
    The reason why I said me getting Final Cut Pro would be very slim is because the Adobe Final Cut Pro is very expensive.
    Just to clarify once more:

• ADOBE don't make Final Cut Pro - ADOBE make Premiere Pro which runs on both Mac and Windows

• APPLE make Final Cut Pro and it only runs on a Mac

Blog Entries

With your budget, on a Windows PC, you are looking at Adobe Premiere Elements, Sony Movie Studio, Pinnacle Studio, Corel, Magix, Serif ....
    Pinnacle Studio is (was?) probably the easiest to get results from.
    Premiere Elements and Sony Movie Studio are probably the most flexible - certainly the most popular on this forum. personally I'd go for the Sony product, but there are probably more shouts in favour of the Adobe one.
    They can both do pretty much the same - it's really down to how you get on with them. I preferred the Sony interface when i was choosing and that is why I stuck with it.
    Both products offer time limited trials. But you WILL need to invest time in order to get anything out of them.
    The Corel products and Magix products have their fans too. I cannot comment as I have no experience.
    A school I work at uses Serif MoviePlus for GCSE work. Again it does the job.

There's always Windows Movie Maker - free from Microsoft. Rather limited, but if all you want is one video track (layer) plus audio, with the capacity to add titles, captions and perhaps a music track, then why not?
    Tim

If you go for (Sony) Movie Studio, be sure to get the Platinum version, not the basic one. As TimS says, test with the free trial versions.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Premiere Elements and Sony Movie Studio are probably the most flexible - certainly the most popular on this forum. personally I'd go for the Sony product, but there are probably more shouts in favour of the Adobe one.

There's always Windows Movie Maker - free from Microsoft. Rather limited, but if all you want is one video track (layer) plus audio, with the capacity to add titles, captions and perhaps a music track, then why not?
    I would say I am one of the 'more shouts' who would favour Adobe. That's just my preference. I've never used Sony Movie Studio, although I have used Sony Vegas Pro (not sure how much/if there is much of a difference). But as Tim said, Movie Maker if you want the absolute basics of one video track, audio like a song and some captions.