Thread: Quadcopter issues.

Default Quadcopter issues.

This video was posted recently on YouTube. It shows a young man being assaulted by a woman who didn't like him filming with his quad copter. Does It bring up an interesting privacy issue ? I believe he was lawfully going about his right to pursue his hobby. I feel the lady has some sort of issues, does she attack CCTV cameras when walking down the street ?

And why don't we get the rest of the footage and audio? Why is so much of it at 1fps with no audio....?

Clearly things like this happen, but why obfuscate so much of it and then not give us the end result? What did the police say / do?

HERE IS A LINK to the original news article with nore info.

Looks like he met the 'village idiot' - Probably unaware that he should have showed due respect to her, despite the absence of busybody issued Hi Vis jacket
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Does It bring up an interesting privacy issue ? I believe he was lawfully going about his right to pursue his hobby. I feel the lady has some sort of issues, does she attack CCTV cameras when walking down the street ?
    I think she has potentially good grounds. it is not the same as CCTV.
    To me this comes back to the boob shots of the then Kate Middleton taken by a pap with a 800m lens. It's not just the fact that KM was on private property, it was down to where one might reasonably expect privacy. In a location where there are CCTV cameras, one does not have that expectation of privacy - especially as here in the UK there are normally liberal sprinklings of yellow CCTV stickers nearby.
    On a public beach - what can one reasonably expect?
    Perhaps it is reasonable to assume that on a wide open beach where no-one can approach without being clearly visible, then one has a certain amount of privacy. Perhaps someone wants to do a bit of nude sunbathing (or hanky panky). As it is clear when someone else is going to approach there is plenty of time to cover oneself up and thus prevent any risk of either party being offended.
    The drone changes that - at present people don't expect them, and even when they do, they can be over the dunes, filming, before anyone has time to react.

Alternatively, any passer by pointing a camera at someone is (a) identifiable - at least by looks and (b) can be questioned in person there and then as to why they are photographing. The person being photographed can take whatever action they deem necessary, even if that is just getting up and going to another location. If the photographer follows, they have a case for harassment.

The drone changes the game here as well. The subject could potentially have no idea at all who is filming.
    Tim

Drones are becoming popular. In the USA, their FAA are having to revise its regulations. And to work itself around issues of amateur or commercial usage of drones. Lawyers are likely getting ready to enter the world of drone law.

washington.cbslocal.com/2014/04/22/poll-63-percent-of-americans-against-personal-drones-being-allowed-in-us-airspace/

rt.com/usa/judge-personal-drones-legal-us-310/

Recent fascinating posts in this Forum from a serious drone builder/pilot re-confirms my belief, that when drone fever hits the Uk, that our regulations are suitably ready. The nuisance is that there are excellent opportunities for videographers to want a drone. If nothing else, it saves carrying a tripod.

I think there is a big difference with the KM thing and flying a drone. OR should we not accept police drones which are currently flying around the skys of this country. My view is if they can do it we can do it. We are all equal in the eyes of the law. Flying drones over private property in a deliberate attempt to photograph someone in my book isn't ok this includes private or government agents.

I agree the lawyers are going to be the only winners as usual if it comes to that.

Blog Entries

I think there is a big difference with the KM thing and flying a drone.
    And that is where the lawyers will make their money.
    Your lawyer will argue, with some justification, that KM had a reasonable right to expect privacy as she was on private land half a mile away from the road.
    My lawyer will argue, with equal justification, that your wife and daughter on a deserted beach have a reasonable right to privacy all the time no-one can approach them unseen.

The police drones matter is a different issue (though you won't see it as such). The police have accountability: the guy from my video club doesn't. Where we won't see eye to eye is that my default position is to trust the police until proven guilty of malpractice, whereas yours is not to

I agree the lawyers are going to be the only winners as usual if it comes to that.
    Although I have a feeling that there will be an attempt to ban unlicensed drones before too much money changes hands. As I understand it a CAA licence (I think) to enable one to do this professionally is not so exorbitant to prevent legitimate businesses (eg bigglesuk) from doing this but is probably enough to dissuade the casual amateur.
    Tim

The police have accountability
    Oh yes, I was forgetting how trustworthy the police are these days.

Blog Entries

Oh yes, I was forgetting how trustworthy the police are these days.
    As I said:
    "Where we won't see eye to eye is that my default position is to trust the police until proven guilty of malpractice, whereas yours is not to "
    Tim