Thread: Slomo

Default Slomo

Wanting the Canon C300 it does NOT offer slomo

All I have used in the past is a Panasonic 3mos and Pinnacle.

1. PLEASE can someone tell me the best (NOT the most expensive necessarily) software that can be used to create post processing slomo from cameras.

2. If there is any member who uses that software/camera or Sony Vegas in the Devon/Cornwall area who would be willing to teach the software basics for me for payment

Thank you
    Last edited by JR1; 06-07-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Canon C3100?? [edit: Just read you're other post and this is C100]

I don't use Vegas sorry, but the main recommendations for slo-mo are usually Twixtor (not the cheapest) or After Effects Time Warp (turn the quality up to max for great results). Since you're on Windows there's probably not much point telling you about the optical flow in FCPX or Motion.

Last edited by David Partington; 06-07-2014 at 12:49 PM.

Yep, moron I am C100

What about optical flow

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    PLEASE can someone tell me the best (NOT the most expensive necessarily) software that can be used to create post processing slomo from cameras.
    This is one of those situations where the 'best' might actually be free software....

Using MVtools within an AVISynth script can produce 'slomo' results that can equal ( some say better?) After Effects or Twixtor, and are much cheaper than either of those tools, being free!

The downside is perhaps the perceived 'unfriendliness' of using AVISynth?
    While it can be a bit of a steep 'learning curve' getting to grips with writing AVISynth scripts, there are in fact hundreds -- if not thousands -- of these scripts already written, which can simply be copied and pasted, and used with very little modifcation.

I'm only a beginner at using AVISynth scripts myself, but have been quite pleased with my first experiments with 'Slomo' so far

I've posted a couple of short sample videos to show the sort of thing you can do quite easily.

This first one was to try and specify a precise moment for the start of the 'slomo', and only took about 15 minutes to do.
    http://www.jp137.com/lvs/jetskix.mp4

The second one was to try and see whether I could slow down a sequence, by a factor of 10, without introducing any background frame 'stutter'..... Amazingly, it worked:

http://www.jp137.com/lvs/06mv0.1.mp4

Both were processed by using slightly modified versions of this script:

http://www.jp137.com/lts/MVseq.txt

Needless to say, I didn't write the original script, but found it online. (Respect to the clever guy who did write it!)

I just adjusted the frame locations to suit the script, and opened it with the free editor Virtualdub..

Quite good results, I thought... especially as the whole thing didn't cost a penny.....

Many thanks