Thread: Does anyone use the C100

Default Does anyone use the C100

I am wanting an interchangeable lens camera and as I have Canon and Nikon kit I am looking at the Canon C100, can not justify the C300.

Any comments on this would be appreciated.

Thank you

Ah, this would be the C100 and not the C3100 in your other post. Makes sense now.

Yes, I have the C100 and use it in preference to all the other cameras I have. It's awesome. It totally blows my 5D3 DSLRs out of the water in terms of quality and dynamic range.

But as you mention in your other post, it doesn't technically have slo-mo. Some people (including the likes ofPhilip Bloom) have found that if you know in advance you want slo-mo you can record in 50i then tell apps like Premiere Pro that it's 50p and it slows down nicely. You do lose some vertical resolution (because it's converting fields to frames) but the C100 is so much sharper than DSLRs in the first place not many people would notice.

Lack of Slo-Mo is about the only downside I can really find on the C100. The fact it uses SD cards instead of CF cards and records to AVCHD instead of MPEG2 should not worry you. I have other (Canon) cameras that do use the CF cards and 50mbps 4:2:2 and the C100 stands up to those very well indeed. Absolute worse case is you add the Atomos Ninja if you need the 4:2:2, but I only tend to do this when shooting green screen of I know I have lots of setup time. The AVCHD holds up amazingly well.

I did get the AF upgrade done and if I buy another C100 then I'd have that upgraded too.

There is ONE gotcha that I should mention. Due to the way Canon encode 25psf many of the NLEs don't decode this properly and you have to tell them it's progressive footage instead of interlaced. No big deal, but thought I'd mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    Ah, this would be the C100 and not the C3100 in your other post. Makes sense now.

Yes, I have the C100 and use it in preference to all the other cameras I have. It's awesome. It totally blows my 5D3 DSLRs out of the water in terms of quality and dynamic range.

But as you mention in your other post, it doesn't technically have slo-mo. Some people (including the likes ofPhilip Bloom) have found that if you know in advance you want slo-mo you can record in 50i then tell apps like Premiere Pro that it's 50p and it slows down nicely. You do lose some vertical resolution (because it's converting fields to frames) but the C100 is so much sharper than DSLRs in the first place not many people would notice.

Lack of Slo-Mo is about the only downside I can really find on the C100. The fact it uses SD cards instead of CF cards and records to AVCHD instead of MPEG2 should not worry you. I have other (Canon) cameras that do use the CF cards and 50mbps 4:2:2 and the C100 stands up to those very well indeed. Absolute worse case is you add the Atomos Ninja if you need the 4:2:2, but I only tend to do this when shooting green screen of I know I have lots of setup time. The AVCHD holds up amazingly well.

I did get the AF upgrade done and if I buy another C100 then I'd have that upgraded too.

There is ONE gotcha that I should mention. Due to the way Canon encode 25psf many of the NLEs don't decode this properly and you have to tell them it's progressive footage instead of interlaced. No big deal, but thought I'd mention it.
    Where did I say C3100!

I will get the upgraded version

many thanks for the reply, appreciated

You fixed it now

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    You fixed it now
    Yes, how daft

Now looking for someone to teach me the software

Thanks, I also need to find someone to sit with me and teach me the basics.

The site you sent me to above is amazing, much appreciated.
    Last edited by JR1; 06-07-2014 at 03:14 PM.