firstly, I am a complete beginner to video editing. So I downloaded trial version of both Corel Videostudio X7 and also PowerDirector12. Currently using Corel.

So I transferred my HD camcorder clips onto the PC, which were saved on the PC as default file type .MTS

I then imported them all into Corel, did all my editing and got my final view of my video. When I watch this back on the preview screen in the software on both Corel and Powerdirector, the audio and video are perfectly in sync.

Then comes the issue. I have tried burning to AVCHD (dvd disc) and also DVD disc. Also tried creating files MPEG2 and MT2 on the PC. Whatever I create, the audio becomes out of sync with the video every time (no matter if I use Corel or PowerDirector to burn).

I have googled this and I am struggling to know the best way to fix this. I have tried a piece of software called Womble, which has GOP fixing (no idea if this is the actual issue or not... just guessing). It found 9000 odd errors on the MPEG file I created and "fixed them", but the fixed version is still the same.

So I guess my questions are:

1. why has it done this? Did I do something wrong?
2. Should I not edit MTS files directly? Should I be converting them somehow first? Will I be able to maintain the HD level quality if I convert them?
3. What is the best process to follow when using MTS files and one of the "consumer" editing packages?
4. Is there anyway to fix my current project or do I simply have to start my project again but use converted files?

I dont want to start the project again, but I will if there is a guaranteed fix around this to stop it happening in future projects I do. It is so frustrating that the audio and video goes out of sync after all the hard work editing it. When editing I will always be taking videos from my Panasonic HD Camcorder, so generally it will always default to .MTS

Appreciate any guidance on this as I am a complete beginner. Thanks guys,