Thread: Solidarity - Winner of the Holland Project 3-Minute Film Competition

Default Solidarity - Winner of the Holland Project 3-Minute Film Competition

Hello all!

I am interested in some feedback about the most recent project of mine, "Solidarity". I wrote, shot and edited it in the span of about two months, so I would say I put a fair amount of work into this production. It won both the audience choice award and the jury selection award for the Holland Project 3-Minute Film Competition in Reno, NV. I would love it if some of you could view it, share it, and most importantly, give your feedback. Thanks in advance guys, and cheers!

SOLIDARITY

(P.S. - I haven't figured out how to change the text from "Windows movie maker" below my username, but I can assure you I use premiere pro and after effects exclusively)

The windows movie maker is a sign that you are new to the group.

I thought with low lighting, jump editing and audio track you created a sinister atmosphere but the subject matter to be distasteful. There was no clues given as to why they took there own lives or even if it was murder.

BUT it was well shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    The windows movie maker is a sign that you are new to the group.
    Its sort of like the way the seniors made you run around the campus in French maid outfits when you started college - except more humiliating

I think the visuals are fine but the story keeps too much room for interpretation to be really catching.

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    I think the visuals are fine but the story keeps too much room for interpretation to be really catching.

thanks for the feedback!

Blog Entries

Have to agree with the gist of teh comments above. The images are great. The warmth of the low level lighting comes across and the blacks are wonderfully black. Editing is stylized and consistent.....but....
    It all means nothing. Without creating some sort of empathy with a character or characters it's just images. Sorry.
    It's a bit like the fashion shoot posts of someone who frequently posts here - but they're not meant to tell a story, just show off clothes in an interesting way.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Have to agree with the gist of teh comments above. The images are great. The warmth of the low level lighting comes across and the blacks are wonderfully black. Editing is stylized and consistent.....but....
    It all means nothing. Without creating some sort of empathy with a character or characters it's just images. Sorry.
    It's a bit like the fashion shoot posts of someone who frequently posts here - but they're not meant to tell a story, just show off clothes in an interesting way.
    Hey Tim - thanks for the feedback!

I suppose I want to explain the plot and why things "make sense" however, it seems that the point of feedback is to see what the audience thinks, and I definitely am glad I can get an outside perspective. It's good to know I'll have to write more empathy and emotional payoff into the script on future projects. I appreciate the comments about the lighting and images! I am by no means using the best gear, so getting a consistent image when grading was definitely a level of work I've never experienced prior to this project.