Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Fracking

Default What is Fracking

I made a video aimed at introducing the average person to Fracking.

Well researched, very informative and a thorough job you've done, though I would think that depending on geology, each area would be treated accordingly. Sometimes, you just gotta trust the experts, then sue the buggers when they inevitably get it wrong.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

That would normally be my view but in this case if something went wrong the consequences could be catastrophic to the local water supply which means water would have to be shipped in which would obviously mean rationing. What would that do to house prices etc...

Anyway I'm glad you liked the video.

Blog Entries

I don't think it'll win any prizes for the video content but I think it does a great job of getting your message across (without you coming across as a nutter). I think there are concerns to be raised about fracking and you cover them well. I suspect much may simply be unfounded fears and I think you do a reasonably down to earth job of pointing out the flaws in the way legislation currently deals with some of the concerns. One thing is undisputed though and that is my main objection - the sheer amount of clean water required for fracking. This is already a scarce resource and I would dearly like to see other avenues explored.
    Having said that I do think it is a massive leap to jump from explaining concerns about fracking to saying no to fracking, and that is why groups such as the Crawberry Hill mob lose my sympathy. Motor vehicles pollute and kill. Banning them is not the answer as people want to be able to move themselves and goods. So emphasis is on making them cleaner and safer, not on banning them outright.
    In other words lets improve and investigate more fully the impacts of the technology. Pushing for an outright ban simply polarises opinion.
    Tim

Thanks for viewing Tim. You make some interesting points but I fear I haven't done my job properly if you think the guys at Crawberry Hill are just a bunch of car hating eco warriors. I'm sure there are some but for most of them it's not about carbon emissions etc. It's the difference between conventional drilling for gas & oil and this unconventional process called Hydraulic Fracturing. That's why you only see them outside Fracking well sites and not the other ones.

I'd rather keep good relations with Russia and buy their gas than turn this country into Gasland.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I fear I haven't done my job properly if you think the guys at Crawberry Hill are just a bunch of car hating eco warriors.
    That's not what I think at all and didn't mean to give that impression. I used the car thing as an example of taking legitimate concerns about something and, rather than try to see if we can do it more safely and ecologically more soundly, just banning it.
    If banning fracking is not what they stand for, then they should change their banners.
    Tim

Great job on the ideas, but if I had to be honest about one thing, I think the pace was a little slow, too many pauses etc. If you could tighten these up in the edit then I think it would make a massive difference.

Good video

good explanation of fracking

the music was atrocious --- please please please check out a band called hammock and steal their stuff - or Brian Eno's music for airports - or something

fracking is the answer to all our problems so you should get used to it - this will save England from ruin just like it is saving America - personally there are worse things in our neighbourhoods to fret over - waste dumps, quarries, biker clubs, crack houses, West Nile virus, MERS, the continuum transphincter, etc.

Very interesting as fracking is also discussed a lot in my area. I agree with David Partington that you could increase the pace.
    Sometimes you switched fonts or used different ones alongside each other. I would stick to one font (and didn't like "Comic" so much for a factual video).
    Obviously you needed to rely on stock footage but if you had the option I would have preferred video before stills.

Good points, I agree it is slow Dave. Interesting you picked up on the use of Comic Sans Ray, I was trying to create the impression of a non professional looking video. As though some bloke had just come across the subject and felt like he had to make a video about it. I thought if I made it too slick it would come across more like a propaganda piece than an information piece. Hense the rough animations, use of photos etc. Above all I wanted people to listen to the info and way this up with what they already know. I kept it as simple as I could and tried to make it seem balanced or at least not too biased against fracking. Personally I think the process is inhearently doomed to failier in a country the size of the UK I just hope that is realised before we have a big accident. It's not even safe for the guys working on the wells, 4 people have died since 2010 as a direct result of contact with the flowback fluid.

I don't mind conventional oil and gas exploration but fracking is just bonkers.

For anyone interested in finding out more take a look at THIS VIDEO

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast