Thread: Trying to tell a background story

Default Trying to tell a background story

I made a video about a wooden plane makeover. The first time I tried to give it a background story. I had problems finding the balance of telling something catchy and to still document my work. So I left out sad music and interviews of people in tears
    Could you maybe have a look?

All other feedback is of course also appreciated. I had some issues with my audience setup and needed to re-record some sections. That is unfortunately audible. I should have probably re-done all of it but you know ... time.

Blog Entries

That really drew me in. The back story was a useful addition but I'm glad you didn't add any more of it as the main story is as it should be - about your work restoring the plane.
    I wasn't distracted by the sound, though I was by a couple of wobbly shots - I'm guessing post production stabilization of the "tracking" shot across the planes and also where you were tapping the plane with the hammers (presumably it caused the camera to wobble).
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I'm guessing post production stabilization of the "tracking" shot across the planes and also where you were tapping the plane with the hammers (presumably it caused the camera to wobble).
    Both absolutely correct. I tried to use a tripod as improvised steady cam but it was still wobbly after stabilization in post. The problem was that my wide angle lens was broken and I needed to film with me tele. When tapping the plane the camera was on a tripod a good step away from the work bench. So the hits must have been transferred via the ground (wooden floor).

Thanks for the feedback.

I think you did a very good job of restoring the plane and captured it very well in the video. The only thing I think that could be added to the history is to see an example of something that was made using it.

Well done Ray.

Nice that you also liked it. I really feared that the story was too dull. Actually I plan to build my own work bench but this will take a bit too long to be incorporated in this video

I liked it overall. The history part was great and I thought the voice over throughout was easy to understand. You also might want to think about doing an establishing shot with your face on camera so the audience can put a face with the voice. I know I hate getting on the front side of the camera, but I really think it would improve the personal connection in the video.
    Robert
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.virtual-studio-set.com - Animated backgrounds and virtual studios for green screen video productions

Quote Originally Posted by virtualsetbackgrounds.com View Post
    You also might want to think about doing an establishing shot with your face on camera so the audience can put a face with the voice.
    I totally agree and in general do not feel uncomfortable in front of a camera (for private videos) but this video was intended to be up on YouTube and I prefer my face not being exposed to the whole world. Good point though.