Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batteries Included

Blog Entries

Default Batteries Included

My son, appearing on BBC Newsbeat, talking about electric racing cars. The first Formula E series starts in September.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/27529450
    It's really cool the way the dashboard lights up. Remember KITT from KnightRider?
    Tim

Great technology there Tim. The only thing I'd really disagree with is that it looks quite similar to a Formula 1 racing car..... err... not!

Anyway, 0-60 in 2.x seconds is pretty fast, as is the top speed. What is the endurance at that sort of performance?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    The only thing I'd really disagree with is that it looks quite similar to a Formula 1 racing car..... err... not!
    All rather depends on what you mean by "quite similar". We are "quite similar" to other primates, sharing much of our DNA. We are also "quite similar" to other mammals in that we share the same basic skeletal design and body structure. We are also "quite similar" to fish in that we are complex cell organisams. I doubt Will would have come up with that. I suspecyt it is either an official line for Formula E or the BBC asked him to say it. In the radio version (shorter) he mentions regenerative braking and regenerative suspension which feed energy back into the battery (hardly a complex concept, if difficult in practice) and the commentator says how that's probably too technical for most listeners. So there's a hell of a lot of dumbing down going on.

Anyway, 0-60 in 2.x seconds is pretty fast, as is the top speed. What is the endurance at that sort of performance?
    [/quote]
    The Formula E blurb says two cars per driver in a race that should last approximately an hour - so 30 mins at race speeds seems to be the expectation.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Great technology there Tim. The only thing I'd really disagree with is that it looks quite similar to a Formula 1 racing car..... err... not!

i understand and that all cars will be the same, and the images I've seen do indeed look similar to an f1 car. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the car shown in the video is for testing the tech.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    i understand and that all cars will be the same, and the images I've seen do indeed look similar to an f1 car. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the car shown in the video is for testing the tech.
    Absolutely correct Marc. The car shown is the one they used to break the sub 1,000 KG land speed record last year.
    The 10 teams entering Formula E have taken delivery of the first of their four cars - all 40 cars will be the same.
    Next season that teams will be able to construct their own cars. This season is more about proof of concept and will be more of a test of the teams' abilities to prepare the cars and the drivers' abilities. It's very difficult to see how it will provide anything like the excitement of F1 (the lack of noise is just one of the other issues) and there is a real risk that if it ends up looking like milk float racing this could set back investment in EVs a few years. However, those involved, clearly believe that electric powered vehicles have finally arrived and that racing is a viable means of promoting the form of transport, attracting advertising and investment in the technologies. This should result in improved technologies which should (a) trickle down to the EVs you or I might buy and (b) most importantly from my point of view, keep my son in a job
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    i understand and that all cars will be the same, and the images I've seen do indeed look similar to an f1 car.
    Sorry, don't mean to create an argument here.... but isn't it much more like Le Mans 24 car?

Le Mans Car : http://photos.evo.co.uk/images/front...o_422884_7.jpg

In comparison to F1, it's not open cockpit, it's not open wheel and so much more....

Formula 1 Car : http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...i_2802152b.jpg

TWO CARS per driver per race? Wow, that's expensive and why not just make the race 30 minutes? Or better yet, last one running or max distance covered in shortest average time wins

Blog Entries

The car in the video Tim posted wasn't a formula e car

Ditto my facebook comment.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Ditto my facebook comment.
    Cheers! Although I think you flatter me if you think i could have done a better job of the video. I might not have over exposed quite so much ....
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast