Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing Dad

Talking Missing Dad

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I posted! Been super busy.

A long time ago, back in 2008 I made an animation series titled Advent Calendar which won the December 2008 Video of the Month Award on here. It was the first I've ever won for any of my work, and it gave me a huge amount of motivation. I later started sketching out a follow-up film that would be longer and develop the world.

At first, I said that animation would be released the following Christmas, in 2009, but as I had just started university I was held down by work and other commitments. As life progressed, so did the length of production and by 2011 I made the tough decision to restart the whole project from scratch. I'd just tried out new techniques with Two Words which I posted on here, and was ready to recreate the models, rewrite the script and rerecord the voices. It took until the end of last year to finally wrap production, and the slow post-production whilst balancing work has finally come to completion.

So... after 4.5 years since I first drew a doodle, Missing Dad is now complete! and I hope to enter it into festivals. It runs in 16:9 1080p HD at a smooth 25fps with lip-synced mouths, and even ventures out into the real world. In this teaser trailer, Gary's mouth has been tracked onto the model that was taken around the world. I'll be releasing a teaser trailer for the other two main characters, Brenda and Jake.

As always, let me know what you think, and if you like, please help me share it!

Blog Entries

Welcome back!
    I watched twice. Once as someone looking to critique the film and once trying to be just a normal punter.

In the first instance I rather liked the simple animation and the figure which had tons of character despite being, well, a simple figure. However I felt rather cheated that the majority of what was a very short promo, was simply text asn we got so little stop frame animation. Having said that, the text was wonderfully clear both in terms of readability and getting the message across.

As mr Norman Punter it was very effective. I immediately felt empathy with Gary (Why? It's a plasticine model for crying out loud) and I was desperate (OK , pretty keen) to learn more.

Job done!
    Tim

Just from the trailer I am not sure what is waiting for me in the film.

Nice one Rob, The piece works as a teaser trailer as it makes you want more. What more could you ask of it.

Well done and good luck with it.

Thanks for the comments!
    The film being very short, I'm reluctant to create something too long as it'll give away too much of the story! However, I have enough material to create two more teasers and may create a 'making of' while I enter this into film festivals. Know of any good ones upcoming that you think I could enter into?

Here's a new trailer, featuring the second of the three main characters.
    Let me know what you think!

Hey all!
    Just wanted to update on this. Not forgetting I only continued with these characters after getting response through the Digital Director forum.

I've spent some time entering the animation into film festivals and it's been a very steep learning curve. Thankfully I can share some good news! The animation was accepted to these film festivals:

Premiere - Bath Film Festival 2014
    Official Selection - Liverpool Lift-Off Film Festival 2015
    Official Selection - Coventry Film Festival 2015 (July)
    Official Selection - British Animation Film Festival 2015 (July)

Blog Entries

That's great stuff, thanks for letting us know Keep at it.
    Tim

Blog Entries

"Real" animation is something which always gets my respect as I have neither the skill, nor the patience, to do it.

Glad to hear that your stuff is getting a bit of recognition. I would much rather watch this than some games footage or computer-generated stuff!

The characters are very appealing and I think this will make the movie - great job

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast