Thread: Best Sony Vegas Pro 12 Settings

Default Best Sony Vegas Pro 12 Settings

Thank you in advance for reading this and helping me obtain a higher quality product. I live in the USA and been using Sony Vegas Pro for years (currently on version 12) but am in the process of educating myself and trying to upgrade my video files for better quality. I recently purchased Vegasaur and realized that Iím probably doing several things wrong that have hurt my quality. I download music videos from YouTube and add words to them to sing to in my Sunday School class at church. The projector we use is XGA with the aspect ratio set to 16:9. I thought we had an SVGA, so my videos have a lot of room for improvement!

Current process:
    Most of my videos have a 360p or 480p resolution.If the frame rate was not 29.970 fps, I used a video converter to correct that.

I used these project settings in Vegas:

NTSC DV (720x480, 29.970 fps)
    Field order:Lower field first
    Pixel aspect ratio:0.9091 (NTSC DV)
    Frame rate:29.970 (NTSC)
    Pixel format:8-bit
    Full-resolution rendering quality:Best
    Motion blur type:Gaussian
    Deinterlace method:None
    Adjust source media to better match project or render settings (checked)

I rendered with these settings:
    MainConcept MPEG-2 Program Stream NTSC
    I used all the default settings except changed the field order to ďlower field firstĒ and put in a constant bit rate of 7,000,000.

New process:
    Iíve downloaded the same music videos as 720p off of YouTube and changed the frame rate to 29.970 fps. Based on what Iíve read and being told in Vegasaur, are these the best project settings to use?:

HDV 720-30p (1280x720, 29.970 fps)
    Pixel aspect ratio:0.9091 (NTSC DV)
    Frame rate:29.970 (NTSC)
    Pixel format:8-bit
    Full-resolution rendering quality:Best
    Motion blur type:Gaussian
    Deinterlace method:Interpolate fields
    Adjust source media to better match project or render settings (NOT checked)

I render with these settings:
    MainConcept MPEG-2 HDV 720-30p
    I use all the default settings except changed:
    Output type:DVD
    Video quality:High
    Constant bit rate:8,000,000

Here are a few questions that I have:
    1.Do the new settings above allow for the best image quality?
    2.XGA video projectors have a 1024x768 resolution and a 4:3 aspect ratio. With me creating and rendering at 1280x720, will I notice that much quality difference? Should I be creating and rendering at 1024x768 to match the properties of the video projector?
    3.When I input my music video into my project, should I be changing the field order and pixel aspect ratio properties to match the project properties (or should I leave that as is since it will be changed when rendered)?
    4.Once the music video is rendered, I will either burn it to DVD for playing through a DVD player or input it as a video file in Powerpoint for playing through a laptop.When broadcasting the video through a XGA projector, should my render settings be any different when my source is a DVD player versus a laptop?

Thanks again for your help with this!

The field order is important for the projector to display the image correctly. Your projector in not HD so it will probably need to have video with lower field first. This however may not be the best format for you. I don't know what the projector is capable of, have you ever tried a progressive video. This may or may not work but if your projector will play a progressive video it might look better (It may not). The thing to do is test it. Generally you would be better off going for a pixel for pixel match but as the projector displays at a 4:30 aspect ratio this isn't really possible.

I suspect the 720-30p template you are using is probably as good as you're going to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    The field order is important for the projector to display the image correctly. Your projector in not HD so it will probably need to have video with lower field first. This however may not be the best format for you. I don't know what the projector is capable of, have you ever tried a progressive video. This may or may not work but if your projector will play a progressive video it might look better (It may not). The thing to do is test it. Generally you would be better off going for a pixel for pixel match but as the projector displays at a 4:30 aspect ratio this isn't really possible.

I suspect the 720-30p template you are using is probably as good as you're going to get.

I've tried both and really don't see too much of a difference. I'm really clueless if I'm really using the best settings. Do you know if when I input my music video into my project, should I be changing the field order and pixel aspect ratio properties to match the project properties (or should I leave that as is since it will be changed when rendered)?