Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I become a video editor?

Unhappy How do I become a video editor?

I am in my forties and would like make a career change. I began in college majoring in TV production. I changed my major and decided to go be a teacher cause I knew I wanted children and it would be more stable. But now that the kids are grown and just about ready for college, I am ready to focus on me again. I have been looking into taking online courses to learn the basics of video editing. Is this a waste of time? All of the schools that offer these online courses say it will be enough to get me an entry level position. Is that accurate? I don't really have the time to take classes in person due to my current job. Is this a doable thing or is it a pipe dream? I really hate my job and was looking to go back to my original love. Please tell me it's not too late, Help!!!!

I really need some help/guidance. Any insight would be helpful. I would like to hear from others who have had experience and could guide me in the right direction. Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by c412sz; 05-21-2014 at 12:03 AM.

Just start making videos and get feedback. Do you have a local video creation club?

I am looking for one. I reached out to a production company to see if I would be able to volunteer for now. I am not holding my breath for that one but you never know. I figure I can at the very least get exposure to a lot and make contacts, right?

My suggestion would definitely be to just start making videos to get practice and to have something to show in a reel.

I'm in a similar position to yourself regarding age.I've had several jobs the first being a chef after qualifying at college in the early 90's, I then left the catering industry due to long hours which were'nt ideal for my wife and I to start a family.
    I've been drifting through life in a mundane job while still having a fascination with making short films/videos which are pretty basic and not very good if I'm being honest, however now my kids have grown up to the point where I have lots of free time on my hands I'm desperate to learn more and create much better videos and learn new techniques. Eventually I'd like to invest in a couple of pro video cameras and start to film weddings but need to tag along with somebody as a second or third camera man to gain experience. It really is a minefield and I'm extremely mindful that one can't take on a wedding without being good at what they do, after all filming a wedding is a huge responsibility that must be done right as there's no second chances.

Sent from mobile using tapatalk
    Last edited by Steve2020; 05-27-2014 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve2020 View Post
    I'm in a similar position to yourself regarding age.I've had several jobs the first being a chef after qualifying at college in the early 90's, I then left the catering industry due to long hours which were'nt ideal for my wife and I to start a family.
    I've been drifting through life in a mundane job while still having a fascination with making short films/videos which are pretty basic and not very good if I'm being honest, however now my kids have grown up to the point where I have lots of free time on my hands I'm desperate to learn more and create much better videos and learn new techniques. Eventually I'd like to invest in a couple of pro video cameras and start to film weddings but need to tag along with somebody as a second or third camera man to gain experience. It really is a minefield and I'm extremely mindful that one can't take on a wedding without being good at what they do, after all filming a wedding is a huge responsibility that must be done right as there's no second chances.

Sent from mobile using tapatalk
    I actually called a video production company and they are going to allow me to volunteer for a few days for post production. I'm pretty excited about that. I don't want to go the wedding video route. I am more interested in documentary footage. Hopefully something will pan out.

Just start filming and editing

at first I'd recommend using iMovie just because the interface is simple and intuitive

if you want to take a course that will actually be helpful, take cinematography - you can pick the rest up on this forum and through experimentation

What type of movies would you recommend? I've made plenty of home movies and playing around with adding video to music. But what type of movies/examples would people be looking for to be hired?

I can give one important piece of advice. Make contracts and stick to them. Alot of times you want to give freebies away. You have to keep in mind that you are in business and that you have to pay your expenses. Keep the customer happy with quality service and your price will be okay with the customers. Any more help needed you can visit Lava Land Productions at www.lavalandproductions.com and see what we've done and we can give you more tips.

Quote Originally Posted by c412sz View Post
    What type of movies would you recommend? I've made plenty of home movies and playing around with adding video to music. But what type of movies/examples would people be looking for to be hired?
    Wow

i just realized you are thinking of making this a career and not just a hobby

Wow

ok well I suppose you could become an unpaid intern at your local cable tv station for 5 years - probably be treated like trash by your maniacal boss

Is that what you were hoping for? If so, then you are all set

... Or ...

join a film crew ... they'll give you a bogus title like "junior gaffer" and paddy-whack you every time you screw up - but you'll learn a lot and actually enjoy the process

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast