Thread: advice about making documentries

1. Default need advice about making documentries

Hello everyone, I will be documenting a charity cycle challenge that is cycling through 5 countries in 5 days for a little girl who needs stem cell therapy. I will be using my aerial cameras as well as a conventional hand held and tripod mounted cameras. Has anyone got any tips for creating successful documentries.
    Last edited by bigglesuk; 05-16-2014 at 07:38 PM.

Plan each days shoot as much as you can so you're not wasting time when you should be shooting, you could miss something. Remember the audio is as important as the visuals if not more so.

Remember the purpose of the video and shoot everything towards that, ie have an idea of what the finished piece should be like and get the sort of shots that you need to do this. Get lots of interviews at the time so they are fresh. I'm sure there are lots more things but that will do for now.

One last thing, don't forget your passport.

I'll echo what Midnight Blue says in that audio is as important as video and when you get to the edit (depending on how skilled you are at editing) you'll really be glad you captured great audio. Not just ambient audio (which is hugely important) but also quick sound bites from people along the way, interviews, emotions, progress reports etc. Audio, audio, audio!!! Quality of audio is also pretty important. Make sure you're not getting wind noise because that makes it totally useless!

Always shoot for the edit. By all means over shoot, but make sure the camera is running 5 seconds before you think you need it and another 5 seconds after you think it's all done. Handles, handles handles!!!

Don't forget lots of batteries and lots of cards! An on camera light can help too when shooting in backlit situations.

When you get in to the edit, keyword, keyword, keyword! Trying to find a clip without good meta data takes time but with good metadata is almost instant. Its worth doing this upfront to make your life so much easier later on.
    Last edited by David Partington; 05-16-2014 at 08:55 PM.

4. Default

thanks fellas, the more I thought I put in to this project the more I realise how much work I have to do. I am only just starting to realise the importance of good audio too, so I have bought myself a Rode IXY microphone for this project which I'm hoping will do the trick. I have got loads of batteries and loads of storage and I definitely will be trying to add my meta data as I go

If you're doing interviews and you're using the iPhone to record them then also think about getting the Røde Smart Lav since the closer you can get the audio to the person speaking the better it will generally be. You'll avoid any handling noise by not having to hold the recorder and also be free to concentrate on the camera, not just the audio. Don't forget to get enough audio on camera to let you easily sync them later.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    If you're doing interviews and you're using the iPhone to record them then also think about getting the Røde Smart Lav since the closer you can get the audio to the person speaking the better it will generally be. You'll avoid any handling noise by not having to hold the recorder and also be free to concentrate on the camera, not just the audio. Don't forget to get enough audio on camera to let you easily sync them later.
    yes I was wondering about getting one of those as well