Thread: UK members - Where do you buy your DVDs and Blurays from?

1. Default Where do you buy your DVDs and Blurays from?

Hi

I'm just starting out in the wedding videography business. Will be doing it part-time. Just wondering where you buy your blank DVDs and Blurays from? I've found a few sites online but they seem quite expensive. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by Howlstan; 05-10-2014 at 11:52 PM.

Blog Entries

Hi Howlstan and welcome. I'm no pro, but I do occasionally film events and bits and pieces where I burn and sell DVDs usually in aid of the organisation I film. I simply use the most reliable media I can lay my hands on.

The difference between a really cheap blank DVD and a pretty good hi-end one (eg a TY Watershield) is maybe 40p (I think I pay about 60p per blank TY). How many copies are you likely to produce of each wedding? The cost of the media is surely insignificant - especially when you compare that the the cost (a) of your time when you have to replace one (remember, it's not just the cost of burning the DVD, but dealing with the phone calls/letters and doing the admin) and (b) to your reputation.

I appreciate every penny counts - especially when starting up a new venture, but going cheap on media which is such a small part of your unit cost is false economy to my mind. If I could buy the TYs at half price the price I do now would I? You bet I would! Would it make any difference to my costings for a project? Not at all!

To be honest I find the cost of the packaging much more of a concern.
    Tim

I'll declare a small interest in this subject since I come at it from two angles. Firstly, we do film weddings and live events that need DVD & Blu-ray production (which we do in house), but I was also in the CD / DVD / Blu-ray duplication industry for 15 years (and in floppy disk duplication before that) and can say hand on heart that Taiyo Yuden (TY) were without doubt the most reliable media we ever used.

I'm no longer in the industry so I have to buy my discs retail like anyone else. I tend to buy from : http://www.riverproaudio.co.uk/Itemd...S2%2DS&eq=&Tp= but it also looks like you can now buy them here too: http://www.taiyoyuden.co.uk/?gclid=C...FYLnwgodUxMAOw

I live within a stones throw of scan computers so I usually pick up discs when I am there. Fortunately their prices are very competitive.
    Something else to consider is the longevity of discs.. I have some discs that are already beginning to break down.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    I live within a stones throw of scan computers so I usually pick up discs when I am there. Fortunately their prices are very competitive.
    Something else to consider is the longevity of discs.. I have some discs that are already beginning to break down.
    I also use Scan for a lot of things and can recommend them.

If you really want longevity then Delkin Gold Archive media (100 year life) would be the ones to go for, at about 2.50 each!! But alas they don't have inkjet printable surfaces.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    I'll declare a small interest in this subject since I come at it from two angles. Firstly, we do film weddings and live events that need DVD & Blu-ray production (which we do in house), but I was also in the CD / DVD / Blu-ray duplication industry for 15 years (and in floppy disk duplication before that) and can say hand on heart that Taiyo Yuden (TY) were without doubt the most reliable media we ever used.

I'm no longer in the industry so I have to buy my discs retail like anyone else. I tend to buy from : http://www.riverproaudio.co.uk/Itemd...S2%2DS&eq=&Tp= but it also looks like you can now buy them here too: http://www.taiyoyuden.co.uk/?gclid=C...FYLnwgodUxMAOw
    So do wedding/event videographers not buy direct from wholesalers? Do you all buy from retail?

Interesting. I tend to just use normal disks at the moment as a lot of my CD's are black and white and are stickers! (Newbiee) and this may seem dumb of me but didn't know DVD's had a certain life. Learnt something new today.

Typical DVD life is going to be in the order of 10-15 years but could be as little as a few days or weeks if you leave them in the sun! Having said that, how many people will still have a DVD playing in 15-20 years time? Perhaps many fewer than you think. How many people have VHS players today, yet the likes of Tesco etc were still selling VHS tapes up to just a few short years ago.

OTOH, some people think hard disks will last forever but they can die in just a few months sat on the shelf, since the spindle could easily cease and then you're done.

UBS sticks are no better, even though they are solid state. I have experience of several USB sticks dying young (less than 12 months old) and someone I know quite well runs a mail order company supplying USB sticks as says they are seeing around 25% failure during the warranty period.

So, there is no perfect media for distribution nowadays.

If you're trying to make a living in the wedding industry you need to up your game on deliverables and make properly printed DVDs, cases etc.

The UK market has be extremely slow to take up Blu-ray and I think most people (weddings) will past it on by preferring HD via digital delivery methods, whether that's USB stick or downloads.

9. Default

So do most people working in wedding/event videography get their DVDs from retail? No one gets them from a wholesaler?

Quote Originally Posted by Howlstan View Post
    So do most people working in wedding/event videography get their DVDs from retail? No one gets them from a wholesaler?
    Feel free to go to a wholesaler if you want to buy 600+ discs at a time. How many weddings are you going to do this year and how many DVDs per wedding are you planning on shipping?

Here is one wholesaler we used to use when I was in the industry.... http://www.goldingproducts.com/group...kjet_Printable