Thread: How can I combine a video with Zoom H4n recorder audio?

Default How can I combine a video with Zoom H4n recorder audio?

I want to take video of guitar playing with my camera but use the audio recorded the same time from my Zoom recorder. What programs (linux or windows) do I have to use to substitute the cameras audio with zooms and synchronize them?

Thank you!

2. Default

Any number of video editing programs will let you do that. I use Sony Vegas, but I would think Adobe Premier, Apple Final Cut Pro etc. could also handle the job.

If I were you I would try and find a camera that will take an XLR input, then set up a good shotgun mic on a stand and then take the audio from there. I haven't used the recorder you're on about, but it's more suited for voice I think and won't sound that great with music.

Also whatever technique you use, make sure you're in an echo free environment, you can put up duvets and blankets on the walls and windows to help you out.

Good luck.

The question is, do you really need to substitute it, or just sync them and turn off the on-camera sound while you edit? In the end that's all I would do.

For applications that can do the substitution and give you the replacement audio within a video file:

Dual Eyes is one.
    Plural Eyes is another.

Editing software is plentiful, and if you can display the waveforms then manually syncing should be trivial.

Premiere Pro, Vegas, Avid.

Not sure of the capabilities of Windows Movie Maker since I opened it once, played for a few microseconds and closed it again!

The suggestion of FCPX (above) won't work on Windows.

Normally you're place the video on track 1, reduce it's volume to 0 then add the H4N audio to track 2 and manually move it in to place so it's synced. You can generally nudge things one video frame either way which gets you close enough for most things.

Once you're aligned, top and tail the video / audio tracks to match and go from there.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dariv View Post
    If I were you I would try and find a camera that will take an XLR input, then set up a good shotgun mic on a stand and then take the audio from there. I haven't used the recorder you're on about, but it's more suited for voice I think and won't sound that great with music.
    Actually, the Zoom recorders are designed primarily for music recording and shotgun mics are used primarily for voice though good ones are fine for music too. The Zoom H4n has an X-Y pair built in to it and an additional pair of mic/line inputs. It can record 4 tracks at a time, which is awesome for simple live music recording: stereo mics plus board mix.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    Normally you're place the video on track 1, reduce it's volume to 0 then add the H4N audio to track 2 and manually move it in to place so it's synced. You can generally nudge things one video frame either way which gets you close enough for most things.
    I usually keep the camera audio active while I line up the good audio by eye and by ear. Wearing headphones and panning the original and replacement audio to opposite sides can make it easy to hear the timing differences.

I agree. I sorta kind said things in the wrong order

Definitely keep the audio live until sync'd then kill it

Don't forget to have a reference point at the beginning of a recording. Use a clapper board or just clap your hands in front of the camera this will give you a spike to line up with your video footage.

With most editing software you can zoom in on the time line to make it easier to line things up and make any micro adjustments.