Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stunt kite video "Lepidoptera - SPRING"

Default stunt kite video "Lepidoptera - SPRING"

HI videoforums - community,
    this is my first post, and my first ambitious video I made. So I'm really happy to show you "Lapidoptera - SPRING" an stunt kite video.

Thanks an kind regards.
    Gerald

Blog Entries

Very nearly very good!
    I'm glad I stuck it out as it seemed to be just a random collection of shots with no real purpose for the first minute. Then we go to the edits of the kite mimicking the gulls and that worked really well. Several other shots worked very well as well.
    Generally well edited but one or two surprising choices. The odd shot of the "dead" kite seemed extremely random as did some of the landscape shots. The sunset was a bit overdone (were the lens flares real - they looked too much) and a strange choice for an opening. I did not like the action cam shots - they cheapened the video: it became less classy/arty and more YouTube. It is important with something like tis to ensure the framing is perfect throughout (very, very difficult, I would imagine) but there were several shots where the kite flew just to close or even outside the frame.
    Fussy, I know, but then this was a very successful attempt at a classy video which only just missed being perfect for me.
    I didn't think the music was right, but at least it was an interesting choice.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Tim

This is technically very well shot but the edit has lrt the piece down. Apart from the totally random music track the edits seem totally random which I feel is wrong for the images we are presented with. If you re-edit this cutting the not quite so good shots with different music it could work very well.

This is a great shame as the camera work is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Very nearly very good!
    I'm glad I stuck it out as it seemed to be just a random collection of shots with no real purpose for the first minute. Then we go to the edits of the kite mimicking the gulls and that worked really well. Several other shots worked very well as well.
    Generally well edited but one or two surprising choices. The odd shot of the "dead" kite seemed extremely random as did some of the landscape shots. The sunset was a bit overdone (were the lens flares real - they looked too much) and a strange choice for an opening. I did not like the action cam shots - they cheapened the video: it became less classy/arty and more YouTube. It is important with something like tis to ensure the framing is perfect throughout (very, very difficult, I would imagine) but there were several shots where the kite flew just to close or even outside the frame.
    Fussy, I know, but then this was a very successful attempt at a classy video which only just missed being perfect for me.
    I didn't think the music was right, but at least it was an interesting choice.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks a lot for that great review, thanks for your time, I can understand your points.

-I'm surprised you mentioned that random thing. I tried not to cut some random cuts together, I wanted the kite fly without much cuts... so there should be one big flight you can follow. Ok, some nature pictures had to be insert because of a lack of some fitting flight footage.
    -The "dead" kite did not fit in my "one-long-flight-try", that's right...
    -The "sunset" was a sunrise, the lens flares are real, it was shot with a pentax k-01 and a fish-eye. The main cam was a Sony EX3.
    -I thought to open with a sunrise and to closes with a sunset..so one complete day.
    -I thought the action cam shots would be cool, especially over the great landscape, but i can understand your "Youtube" feeling.
    -Yes, the framing was hard, and when the framing was right, the flying should have been right as well...

Thanks again for your critique, it helps me a lot!

Best,
    Gerald

Thanks a lot for your critique, I can't understand that random thing, in most cuts the kite is flying from trick to trick.

ok, there are different places, but I want the kite fly in that environment, and then "jump" to the next, without a big cut. one problem was to have only few shots with good flying... but ok, it was my first real kite movie, so your critique is very helpful.

Thanks
    Gerald

Blog Entries

It is , quite clearly, a sunrise. So why was I left with the impression it was a sunset, I wonder? Maybe I was so distracted by the reflection/flare going down? I dunno. Ignore me
    Tim

Perhaps I don't understand the intricacy of stunt kite flying but cutting from trick to trick just seems random to me along with the unpleasant music track.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Perhaps I don't understand the intricacy of stunt kite flying but cutting from trick to trick just seems random
    I agree. That is what confused me when I saw the some shots 'mimicking the gulls'. I half expected the 'dead kite' scene would be followed by a dead bird scene. I don't think close ups of flying kites properly show the skills required to perform the tricks. Most the time, the kite simply darts around. There is no display of anyone controlling it.

I thought the 'mimicking' message was so good, I wished it had been throughout the clip. And the dead kite may have made an interesting ending; and then (in an arty 'cycle of life' message), being re-launched shortly afterwards.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    I don't think close ups of flying kites properly show the skills required to perform the tricks.
    I think that was the point - the suggestion (at least to me) was that the kite had a life of its ow (much like a ventriloquist's dummy)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    I thought the 'mimicking' message was so good, I wished it had been throughout the clip. And the dead kite may have made an interesting ending; and then (in an arty 'cycle of life' message), being re-launched shortly afterwards.
    Entirely agree.
    Tim

Thanks again for your thoughts, vey useful for me!

Gerald

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast