Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Even the pros get it wrong...

Default Even the pros get it wrong...

watching the first episode of the BBC's new drama, Jamaica Inn last night... didnt think much into it at the time but the dialogue seemed quite low in the mix... turns out technical problems at the BBC who's have thought it eh ?

BTW, stunning cinematography the BBC still excel at these period dramas.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27116881

Last edited by enc; 04-22-2014 at 10:43 PM.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

When BBC figures out that a "TV season" consists of 23 1-hour episodes then let me know

Well last nights instalment fared better. It really does look quite stunning. If you were to pause at any scene it would look like a classic painting
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

It's not "technical problems" it's the surround sound 5:1 mix and either an inexperienced mixer or laziness.

It was probably mixed (or should have been) such that the voices come from the two front speakers (left and right of the telly) and the ambient, music and effects come from the rear speakers, plus the sub. When the mix-down for stereo at all goes into the same pot, the ambient is way too loud, the lower frequencies use up headroom which can't be heard on a "normal" telly speaker and the vocals get lost. Also, in the compression to broadcast HD, you end up, like MP3 with the high tones being compressed. Adding to the "blurred" sound and lack of clarity. The mixer should have known this.

So, the sound mixer has made a mix which sounds great in the edit studio, with the wind, rustling grass, creaking beams etc all coming form the rear, with clear audio from the front but hasn't twigged that, on a simple stereo, or plain television, it sounds mushy. It doesn't help that some of the actors are mumbling, which means the poor recordist is pushing his microphones to the limit.

We don't all have surround sound, but I do have seriously good stereo speakers and I found it bloody awful!

You'd think they'd test the final cut on a couple of different systems wouldn't you !?
    Even I would do that.
    Last edited by enc; 04-24-2014 at 02:29 PM.

Blog Entries

I watched episodes 1 & 2 with subtitles. (I was out chewing over old times with a friend I used to be in a band with, wondering where it all went wrong blah blah etc etc when part 3 was aired).
    Brilliant! I could follow it whilst my wife talked incessantly at me! Subtitles rule! Except my wife doesn't like them. :(
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I watched episodes 1 & 2 with subtitles. (
    Brilliant! I could follow it whilst my wife talked incessantly at me! Subtitles rule:(
    hahaa!!!

Well on to episode 3 ... There was a lot of mumbling going on Especially from main man joss I thought. Even with the volume quite loud I struggled in parts.
    Last edited by enc; 04-24-2014 at 08:08 AM.

I could follow it whilst my wife talked incessantly at me! Subtitles rule!
    Does this mean your wife has subtitles when she talks ?

Blog Entries

I feel sorry for the poor location sound recordist.
    It's not his place to complain about diction, just to make sure that the levels are there and there's no traffic noise in the background. Woe betide the technician who comments on "interpretation" or suchlike.
    Yet everyone is blaming "technical problems" not the tart who directed it, wearing headphones and glued to the monitor on set and in the edit suite.

But...

Watching a film, at the same time ignoring a completely unconnected commentary which is going on next to you, is a situation known to any male married for more than five years.

This probably explains the success of subtitled series like "Inspector Montelbano" and the "Bridge".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post

Watching a film, at the same time ignoring a completely unconnected commentary which is going on next to you, is a situation known to any male married for more than five years.
    And after a while you learn to develop a "rolling last sentence recall" - which works on the same basis as those dashboard cams. It just sits in cache memory ready for retrieval, but never reaches the conscious part of the brain. Very useful and essential for keeping the peace in situations like:

"You haven't been listening to a word I've said have you?"
    "Of course I have, darling."
    "Well, what was the last thing I said then?"
    "You said, 'She hasn't been the same since John and Karen's Wedding'."
    "!"
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast