Thread: Air traffic over Europe Video

Default Air traffic over Europe Video

I'm an Air traffic controller in Canada and find this video amazing. I would like to know how they did this and what programs were used. I emailed the creator but know response. I'm suspecting After Effects but not sure.

It's hard to know what software was used, but the chances are there were some fancy scripts involved getting the data in there. Unlikely that someone added all these by hand, one at a time.

For those who don't follow the comments down they added more information here : http://nats.aero/blog/2014/03/europe...visualisation/

My guess is they made some nice lines and arcs that look plausible but have very little to do with the actual atc data - that's the easiest way to do it

also they should mention that gatwick overcharges for a glass of orange juice

although I guess they could have put some flight data into google earth and gotten the output they needed

or whatever

The process is described at (http://nats.aero/blog/2014/03/europe...visualisation/) in a comments/posting on 20 March. In brief, it used:
    a) Imported radar and flight plan data into a custom written java program which re-formats the data into something the 3d software can handle.
    b) Trails and backgrounds rendered separately in Maya 3D and then the 20 or so layers generated from 3D are composited in After Effects to make one complete shot.
    c) Individual shots edited together, captioned and combined with music in ‘Final Cut X’ to give the finished result.

Maya 3D!!!

ok so these guys weren't fooling around

Maya is an amazing one-of-a-kind tool but if you want to have a go you should be prepared for a "steep learning curve"