Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me set up my editing workflow with Sony Vegas.

Default Help me set up my editing workflow with Sony Vegas.

I want to follow this guides setup for editing http://ppbm7.com/index.php/tweakers-...95-disk-setup:
    1.Media cache & Media cache database files, created on importing media into a project. They contain indexed, conformed audio and peak files for waveform display.
    Typically small files, but lots of them, so in the end they still occupy lots of disk space.

2.Preview (rendered) files, created when the time-line is rendered for preview purposes, the red bar turned to green. Read all the time when previewing the time-line.

3.Project files, including project auto-save files, that are constantly being read and saved as auto-save files and written when saving your edits.

4.Media files, the original video material ingested from tape or card based cameras. Typically long files, only used for reading, since PR is a non-destructive editor.

5.Export files, created when the time-line is exported to its final delivery format. These files are typically only written once and often vary in size from several hundred KB to tens of GB
    So for my system: SSD/2xHDD 7200RMP

C: OS,Program,Pagefile
    D: Media,Projects
    E: Previews, Media Cache, Exports

Posting here while I go try figure it out too, if you know any of steps to change default setting in Sony Vegas for it match the setup mentioned above (any of the steps) I would appreciate intructions get it done.

eg. This is my starting point, anyone know what this corresponds to in table above:
    [spoiler][/spoiler]
    Last edited by bubbletubs; 04-20-2014 at 10:00 AM.

Blog Entries

It's where prerenders (Tools / Selectively Prerender video) are put.
    Tim

The item circled in red refers to item 2 in your list but specifically for the current project you are working on. The default directory for all temporary files can be set if you go to the options menu and select preferences. This is were you need to go to set all the programs default settings.

If you click on the ? symbol on the top bar of any page or tab it will bring up a help page with a full description of all the items of that page.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    The item circled in red refers to item 2 in your list but specifically for the current project you are working on. The default directory for all temporary files can be set if you go to the options menu and select preferences. This is were you need to go to set all the programs default settings.

If you click on the ? symbol on the top bar of any page or tab it will bring up a help page with a full description of all the items of that page.
    Thank you for the swift responses!

Preferences ---> General ---> Temporary file folder : item 3 on list, Project Files?
    Seems like the only option in all the tabs (video tab excluded) where I can set folder location.

File---> Properties ---> Video --> Prerendered files folder : so item 2, Preview (current projects).

Export file will just be chosen when projects are finished I guess, so item 5 covered, Export files.
    Media files from what I understand is the original big files I am importing, 4 covered.

As long as I am not mistaken on the other points, that just leaves number one: media cache, not quite sure about it yet.

The items described in 1. are usually found in the same folder as the media files. I disagree that they "occupy lots of disc space", They are generally 1 to 20 KB in
    size which is nothing compared to just one minute of HD video, even SD video is around 225MB per minute. You you would need to have a considerable amount of
    these files to have any impact.

If it is an issue for you it is safe to delete these files any way.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 04-20-2014 at 01:08 PM.

If Media cache & Media cache database files usually found with Media files '4', why and how were they seperated in recommended setting, is not point 4 just imported content that will be present wherever you saved them?

If they do take so little space I will be fine though.

I've never bothered to figure out if you can move the media cache database files as it's never been an issue for me.

Blog Entries

The advice you are following appears to be assuming you are using Adobe Premiere. From my little experience of Premiere Elements it appears to me to create a rather large cache in the user's profile (by default) when importing media (this causes me problems supporting it on a school network whee users have roaming profiles). Vegas does not do this - it simply has typically one tiny file for each media file you import, exactly as Midnight says.
    Tim

Thank you, I had not taken into account this was a guide actually tailored towards Adobe Premiere! How would you modify settings to optimize work flow while using Sony Vegas working on desktop with these:

1. SSD 256GB
    2. 7200RMP HDD 1GB
    3. 7200RPM HDD 1GB

Appreciate all the help so far, saving me so much time!
    Last edited by bubbletubs; 04-20-2014 at 04:13 PM.

Blog Entries

My aim is always to keep inputs on one disk (or set of disks) and output on another.
    I have OS and Program on my SSD
    Captured Files on HDD1 (ie ingested video Media)
    Other media (eg music etc) and project files on HDD2 (along with all my other data - finance, word docs, art work - I don't have the space for a separate PC for editing)
    Output files (renders and prerenders) on HDD3
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast