Thread: Help me find a high speed camera with a low budget!

Default Help me find a high speed camera with a low budget!

Hello! I am brand new to this forum so i hope i am putting this in the correct place.
    I am in need of a high speed camera that can shoot at least 500fps in full HD. Thats my minuimum requirement. I have done more than enough googling and snooping around forums and it looks like in order to get a slow motion capable camera you kind of have to be in that circle, or at least that's what it seems like.
    My budget is $500-$2000 but i would like to hear of anything below $10,000 as that may be a possibility someday. I don't want any gimmicks or tricks with current cameras, i just want quality full HD slow motion. Please help, i cant find anything!
    Just to clarify, i understand this might not be possible with my budget, so if possible just tell me the lowest priced camera i can get with those features.

I really don't think you'll find anything in the full HD @ 500fps for anywhere near the price you are looking to spend, or even $10,000 for that matter. Not even the FS700 goes that fast.

Speed & quality cost money. If they didn't, we'd all have them

Pick any two, but only two....

CHEAP | FAST | GOOD

CHEAP & FAST won't be GOOD
    CHEAP & GOOD won't FAST
    GOOD & FAST certainly won't be CHEAP

You would be much better renting for when you actually need it. http://www.slowmo.co.uk/cameras-photron-bc2.php
    Last edited by David Partington; 04-16-2014 at 08:02 PM.

Casio produces a hybrid photo camera with high speed video function up to 1000 fps. It's the EX FH20 for approx. $ 250. I hope this will be helpful for you.

Quote Originally Posted by blrphoto View Post
    Casio produces a hybrid photo camera with high speed video function up to 1000 fps. It's the EX FH20 for approx. $ 250. I hope this will be helpful for you.

Thats 1,000fps at 224 x 56 pixels. Hardly full HD that the OP is looking for. :(

Out of curiousity, what happens when a exposure time for each frame lasts longer than the frame rate? (e.g. filming at 500fps with an exposure time of 100th of a second). That would mean that at any point in time, the camera would be recording more than one frame? Or do these cameras simply limit the fps to the exposure time?

Cameras never record more than one frame at a time, that's the entire point of a frame, it captures a specific time period before moving on to the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    Out of curiousity, what happens when a exposure time for each frame lasts longer than the frame rate? (e.g. filming at 500fps with an exposure time of 100th of a second). That would mean that at any point in time, the camera would be recording more than one frame? Or do these cameras simply limit the fps to the exposure time?
    If I was designing a 1000fps camera I think I'd use ten different sensors, each capturing at 100fps, and synchronized so that they are each offset slightly in time so that you would get 1000fps when you interleaved all the frames

just a thought