Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Virgin Wedding

Default Virgin Wedding

Despite my best efforts to convince him otherwise, one of our club members thinks it would be a good idea for me to shoot footage at his wedding ( he will edit it)
    I've never filmed a wedding and have no real desire to do so but James is adamant. Anyone give me some pointers where to start ?
    Last edited by enc; 04-14-2014 at 08:58 PM.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Where to start. Hmmm....

OK - the first question is what kind of video/film you want to produce and does that coincide with what they are hoping for?

Next, do you have the required equipment to pull this off? It's easy to think only about video but depending on what kind of film you/they are hoping for, audio could be the major gotcha. On-camera audio can be a disaster at some venues while at other venues you may get away with it, albeit still not being brilliant. When we shoot weddings, audio is by far my biggest concern throughout the day.

So, before going further it's worth reviewing what gear you have (or have access to) because what you do/don't have could lead you in a couple of different directions, and the advice for them could well be very different.

Re audio, a very good point and something I had considered but not fully discussed with James (yet)
    For the wedding ceremony it's self, Ideally I would like to use lavs direct to a dedicated digital recorder mounted on bride a groom ?? Obviously the technicalities of actually starting audio recording are something to be looked into ...
    For most other audio probably a zoom h6 mounted to camera.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Don't mic the bride! There's usually nowhere to put the mic and/or recorder.

Putting a lav mic on the groom will usually be sufficient to capture both bride and groom. Try to get it on the left lapel so that it's closer to the bride when stood during the ceremony. This can also capture who ever is taking the ceremony if needed. The cheapest route is the Rode Smart Lav in to someone's iPod/iPhone, but make sure they have airplane mode switched (not just on silent) on otherwise the phone signals can interfere with things. We also generally place other recorders around the ceremony location to capture readings and perhaps a sermon etc. If you try to record these from the back of the room/church it can be terrible and frankly unusable. While our own ears can deal with echoes and reflections coming from different directions, once those are all being fed to us as a single audio source (i.e. the TV) the signals are too mixed up to be pleasant.

If you can plug in to a venue's audio system then do so, but don't rely on it since it could be awesome or could be totally unusable. We've had both many times over.

During the speeches you'll typically need to be able to capture three people, the Father, the Groom and the Best man. While the Father the Groom typically sit either side of the bride and you can get away with a single recorder on the table in front of them, the best man is usually located at the far end of the top table and you need an extra mic / recorder. We generally have 3x wireless mics plus backup recorders for speeches. However, again, if you can plug in to a sound system (if they are using a house mic) then do so, but don't rely on it totally and make sure you also grab some ambient sounds for applause and toasting.

You'll also need good audio for outside / confetti if possible, so make sure you have some sort of wind shield on the mic. While you can make music only videos work, having some real ambient sounds, like applause during the first kiss or the sound of cheering etc during the confetti can make a huge difference to the realism.

Having said all this, I'm still not sure what gear you have available and what type of video you're trying to make. Capturing everything with a single camera is possible, but really you're looking for two or three cameras so you have something to cut to from time to time to keep things interesting, when you're moving a camera or when the subjects simply aren't in the main camera. This could be as simple as the main camera not being able to see the readings for example.

Having two manned cameras is a lot better than just one, and having one unmanned safety camera is a huge benefit so that if both of you happen to adjust your camera at the same time you still have something to cut to. Nothing screams "amateur" more than crash zooms and whip pans during a video so try to make sure you have all that covered for the edit. Avoid those cheesy zooms in on the bride during the vows etc. You can add those in post if you want, but if they are already baked in during filming you're screwed.

This is a live, unrehearsed unpredictable event, but you must shoot for the edit or you'll be kicking yourself afterwards. Press record early and stop it later than you'd normally think!

Get the story, get lots of shots of different things. Don't shoot too short. We've found that 8 second clips are the shortest we really want since that gives us options in editing. If you only have 3 seconds and you need 4 you're screwed, but if you have 8 and you need 5 or 6 you're good to go. If you know what music you're setting things to then you can figure out how long a bar is, preferably two bars plus some handles on each end, then shoot to that sequence timing.

Are you trying to capture the entire ceremony & speeches or just making a highlights video? Shooting style can vary greatly based on why you're trying to do.

Thanks very much David, just skimmed through for now I'll have a proper read and digest tonight at home !!

I'd just phone him the night before and tell jim your too sick to film. Simples

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    LOL, remind me never to ask you to help me at a wedding

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post

Bizarrely, he's even offered to pay me
    Last edited by enc; 04-14-2014 at 06:26 PM.

Well Dave as it says on my website, I don't do weddings but you do.

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    Do

Are you trying to capture the entire ceremony & speeches or just making a highlights video? Shooting style can vary greatly based on why you're trying to do.
    The whole thing!

James is a long term member at my video club and a partner in apple video http://www.applevideo.co.uk/ so is well versed in video production (god knows why he asked me )
    The wedding is on July 5th so quite a while off yet... but i know how quickly these things come around.

He asked me if i would prefer to use their camera but ive explained shooting the video will be a task in its self without having to battle with an unknown camera at the same time/

Ive had the idea to tag along on a wedding shoot (if they have any coming up) ill be putting that to him.
    ive also had the idea of involving one of the other club members to do sound ... ill put that to James also.

equipment ....

i have
    Panasonic SD 700 (1080p Video) main cam
    Nikon D3100 1080p Vid
    Various Nikon Lens
    Sony HX20v 1080p vid

Zoom H2

access to Zoom H6
    various mics
    slider
    jib.

Again thanks for the info David... plenty of points to consider there.
    Last edited by enc; 04-14-2014 at 06:47 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast