Thread: Sound issues

Default Sound issues

Hi. I'm a newbie in this area, and I seem to be having a problem with sound, and while it's probably obvious to you guys, I've not a clue where I'm going wrong.

I have two Canon 5D's and a Panasonic MDC-1. I've used the microphones on the hotshoe directly plugged into the mic socket, and that seems fine. However, I got adventurous and wanted to use mikes off camera.

I've tried two things, and each is worse than the other.

First, I just used an extension lead for the audio cable and mounted the mike on a boom. Result, so much background hum, that the voices were inaudible.
    Secondly, I bought a wireless mike setup, and this is even worse. What appears to be mains hum drowns out the voices altogether.

I'm assuming it's something dumb to do with cable lengths, or impedence, or something, but like I say, I'm a complete novice at this.

HELP!!!

Thanks in advance.

Doug.

It sounds like you have a bad earth somewhere in there, so let me ask first about the cables you are using and what you are plugging in to the 5D. Are they mono or stereo cables? Get this wrong and you'll have an almighty hum because you could be shorting something that shouldn't be shorted!

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    It sounds like you have a bad earth somewhere in there, so let me ask first about the cables you are using and what you are plugging in to the 5D. Are they mono or stereo cables? Get this wrong and you'll have an almighty hum because you could be shorting something that shouldn't be shorted!
    Ok. Here's what I've found so far.......

The mike I'm using for all the cameras is the one that came with the Panasonic. It's a stereo mike (VW-VMS2E, if that helps.), and works great on the Panasonic if attached to the hotshoe and plugged in directly. If, however, I take it off and use an extension lead (Which - to me - seems to be a stereo one) I get the most horrendous hum coming across everything. If I fit it directly to the Canons, the same situation occurs, although there is a slight hum, even if connected directly to the hotshoe.

I've now tried four different mikes, and a variety of ways of connecting them, and I'm even more confused than ever now, as some work fine on the Canons, and others on the Panasonic, and some won't work on either.

The basic variations are:

Canons. Works with the Panasonic mike directly, works with a cheap and nasty 1 mono mike, works with a tie mike. Won't work with any extensions in or with the wireless mikes.
    Panasonic. Works with it's own mike if directly connected, nothing else works. Mains hum on all other mikes with very low volume.

I'm thinking there is a fundamental difference here that I'm missing.

I guess the Panasonic mike will stay on the Panasonic, but I'd love to either have wireless on the Canon, or wireless going to some form of mixing console (But that's probably beyond my current knowledge.

Extension leads are normally only used for balanced leads/mics, usually fed via XLR. Using one on your cam mic which will no doubt be unbalanced will probably be the source of the hum. I feed radio mic into dslr with no problems, but happy with mono.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    It sounds like you have a bad earth somewhere in there.
    +1. Another issue could be if you have audio cables and power cables in parallel or multiple crossings. You should only cross audio and power cables once and only when really necessary, and when you do, make them 90 degrees and perpendicular to each other. That's what I was thought anyway. Hopefully you'll get it sorted! As an aside, when you go about mixing the microphone's audio with the video, Window's Movie Maker might be a bit lacking in features. For entry level software, I found Video East to be good for audio dubbing. I think Adobe is giving away their CS2 or CS3 suites for free these days also, so maybe you could use an old version of Premier.