Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Fortress - Finnish action / drama

Lightbulb The Fortress - Finnish action / drama

Howdy! We finished this short in January, and we've screened it on forums since. The genre is postapocalyptic fiction, with gritty realism and a hint of comic book style characters. The short film tells the story of a survival group locked in combat against a group called 'The Clan'. If this short picks up, we will evolve it into a short film series. This piece is a sort of a "pilot episode" for a story which we have planned. Enjoy the film, and tell us what you think! The english subs are included in the captions.

We previously did short films under the name Randomheads, so if this short caught your attention, be sure to check our earlier work too!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomheadsTV

Does every one in Finland sit there waiting for world war 3 ?

It looked good to me but couldn't really get into it because of the language. Then I realised I could turn on the captions but it didn't really make any difference. In the end it turned out to be one of those movies with no real story which seemed like you just wanted an excuse to film some action.

I guess you are really preparing for world war 3 !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Does every one in Finland sit there waiting for world war 3 ?
    That was my immediate reaction too. A bit unfair really as this is only the second Finnish film maker we know about so statistically a meaninless sample, but one can't help but get the feeling that warfare is the prime mover out there. I think they might be planning for a Nokia to retake their share of the mobile phone market from Samsung.

It looked very good to me but I struggled to watch after the damaged leg shots. I don't even like seeing needles (although I don't mind them in myself for some strange reason). I feel i've cheated you as so much work has clearly gone into this project. I'll maybe force myself to watch another time.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I think they might be planning for a Nokia to retake their share of the mobile phone market from Samsung.
    Nokia's mobile phone unit was recently acquired by Microsoft, so that's out, unless you're thinking of us creating a new "Nokia".

Haha, thanks for the comments!

I think we are the "Varusteleka generation", which means we just like to explore the possibilities of modern day military fiction. I think the situation was quite different say 20-30 years ago, as the WWII still had a strong impact on filmmakers in Finland. Because let's face it - if you want to do finnish action film with modern weapons and such, there are only a couple of plausible settings. A James Bond type of epic agent adventure wouldn't fit so well on finnish soil, or these Fast and Furious type of action films. The other believable scenarios would be some sort of crime thriller action, which we have seen quite a bit during recent years.

Although, a finnish director, Jalmari Helander (the director of Rare Exports) is now working on an epic action film 'Big Game', which involves Air Force One crash landing in Finland. But that film was shot in Germany, not in Finland, so I'm not sure if it counts.

What is this other postapocalyptic / war short you're talking about? I'm of course interested to see films from fellow finnish filmmakers And also, as a reply to TimStannard, those leg shots were one of the most graphical scenes in The Fortress, otherwise it's your standard action film.

PS: The last time we tried to create a WWIII type of setting was three years ago, when we made this short called 'Patrol Duty' It's a quite different type of story, and it was made in english. And if you look at the acting in it, you can understand why we made Fortress in our native language

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbZEPixBmhA

Quote Originally Posted by SirRandom View Post
    I'm of course interested to see films from fellow finnish filmmakers
    Search SSCinema. Here's a sample and links.
    Last edited by vkmast; 04-13-2014 at 01:01 PM.

The moment I saw "Finnish action" I thought there's going to be comments like "what's wrong with you finns, you can't all be doing this sort of things". Seems like I wasn't too far off.

It was quite enjoyable. Seems great care was taken while filming it and I can't complain about technical sides. One thing that I didn't really like was the shaky camera in action shots, but shaky cam tends to divide people whenever it's utilized. As you must know, videos like these are not too common in Finland. There were many elements that action shorts all around have in common, but it still had very finnish style in it. Not quite sure how it is perceived from non-finn point of view, I would actually be interested in hearing other peoples opinions on that. Finnish film can easily be judged to lack story or character interaction, but part of that is simply part of our culture. For reasons unknown we tend to be silent and monotone beings. Dialogue in finnish language is always hard. Not too easy to make it sound natural.

Never heard the term "Varusteleka-generation" before, but seems accurate enough when taking a closer look at wardrobes our films seem to share... (Varusteleka is a Finnish military surplus store, my go-to place for military props)

I hope your film finds audience. This forum is not exactly the place to gain favor of masses, but I have found it to be invaluable source of feedback and a nice place to be. New people are always welcome to stick around.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    Nokia's mobile phone unit was recently acquired by Microsoft, so that's out, unless you're thinking of us creating a new "Nokia".
    I assumed that although owned my M$ the company was still based in Finland. However I like your idea of a new Nokia much better
    Tim

As I only know 3 Finnish film makers. Out of those 3, 2 of them make apocalyptic films.I therefore conclude that, according to my survey, 66% of Finish film makers are obsessed with WW3.

It's interesting how different cultures have their own idiosyncrasies, however inside those cultures are groups who also have their own idiosyncrasies with different elements in the subcultures but deep down I think we are all the same, we just express our selves in different ways.

However it does seem as though most of you hang out in army surplus shops.

We have a subclture like this we call them Goths. I therefore conclude that the majority of Finish people are Goths.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 04-13-2014 at 07:57 PM.

It could use more shooting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast