Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needed: best video editing software without mouse dependency

Default Needed: best video editing software without mouse dependency

Hello. I've been a video journalist for years editing on Avid and sometimes Edius (and even front-panel editing on tape before that!). So I've become accustomed to editing very quickly on a timeline, using mostly shortcut keys to make basic in/out/cuts to slightly more fancy things like freeze frames, slow-mos, titles, audio mixes, rippling edits, etc.

I'm now on a sabbatical and looking to do a few personal editing projects from home using a mix of video (avi, mp4, wmv). I've searched for hours but can't seem to find a reasonably priced (under 100 or even better, free) video editing software programme that can do the above mentioned basics, which isn't heavily dependent on drag/drop mouse editing (which I find frustratingly slow and RSI-inducing).

Any suggestions from you experts and enthusiasts out there would be much, much appreciated!

Blog Entries

Premiere Elements has a multitude of key board shortcuts. Download a trial and take a look.

you might also want to check out Lightworks : http://www.lwks.com

It's actually been used to edit LOTS of Hollywood movies (check out the credits page - http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option...103&Itemid=214) .

It used to be free but now it seems they are charging. With a look, if only to illuminate it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Premiere Elements has a multitude of key board shortcuts. Download a trial and take a look.
    Ditto Sony Vegas and Movie Studio. In fact I'm sitting in front of a ketboard that has printed on the keys a lot of (but far from all) the keyboard shortcuts. Not sure about Movie Studio, but Vegas Pro allows you to reassign keyboard shortcuts.
    Have you looked at the Contour shuttle device - might be of interest?
    Why is using a mouse more RSI inducing than using a keyboard? (Serious question)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Ditto Sony Vegas and Movie Studio. In fact I'm sitting in front of a ketboard that has printed on the keys a lot of (but far from all) the keyboard shortcuts. Not sure about Movie Studio, but Vegas Pro allows you to reassign keyboard shortcuts.
    Movie Studio does not have the Customise keyboard option. The application help (see here) lists well over 200 shortcuts. I don't think I remember all of them "offhand" though...

Thanks a to everyone for the advice. I've had a look at it seems Adobe Premiere Elements might be the perfect fit both economically and in its scope of editing ability, layout and, most importantly for me, keyboard shortcuts. (The others looked good too, but quite pricey.)

Only thing is... the trial version of Premiere Elements 12 I've downloaded doesn't seem to have ability to set In/Out points (no button exists and hitting I/O has no affect, despite being on their list of keyboard shortcuts). I'm clearly not doing something right. Not being able to edit quickly via I/O/X feels like being in a car without a steering wheel. Please help!!

(PS - Tim, as for why is using the mouse RSI-inducing, well, I suppose everybody (emphasis on body) is different, but for me, when I use the mouse repeatedly, as in video editing, my hand naturally stays on the mouse always at-the-ready, in other words, even when I'm not using it I'm still gripping the mouse, thus overextending my tiny hand muscles, arm and shoulder muscles too. After a few minutes my hand feels achy and then numb. I know I should just relax my hand on the mouse when I'm not using it, but I seem impossible to let go of the grip, especially when I'm up against a deadline, which is pretty constant in news. So for me using the keyboard is not only more efficient and faster way of editing, but less crampy. Probably more than you wanted to know, but you did ask!)

Quote Originally Posted by finerworld View Post
    I've had a look at it seems Adobe Premiere Elements might be the perfect fit both economically and in its scope of editing ability, layout and, most importantly for me, keyboard shortcuts. (The others looked good too, but quite pricey.)
    Adobe Premiere Elements may well be right for you for the features, but the others are not necessarily "quite pricey" either. E.g. the previous version # 12 of (Sony) Movie Studio Platinum (Suite as well) can be found very affordably at the moment, if you look around, "while stocks last", not from Sony (SCS) direct though. Some users do not even think of v13 as an essential upgrade, and you'd be able to upgrade to that later at the substantially reduced special offer prices anyway. Some of the others probably have similar offers as well.

Alas, I was wrong. Seems none of the 'affordable' video editing software programs have three-point editing capabilities as I've discribed above (ie, marking an in and out point on the source material and and in (or out) on the timeline, then hitting another key or button to get that newly selected clip into the timeline). I thought this was an industry standard, but I guess I have to pay industry prices to get such software. Domestic users are wedded to the intuitive (but cumbersome in my opinion) mouse, I guess and the software has developed accordingly. Sigh. I will adapt. Or spend a lot of money.

Blog Entries

Are you sure about Sony Movie Studio. Vegas Pro certainly has three point editing.
    Select the media you want in the project window.
    Win+T to copy it to the trimmer window
    Make a selection in the trimmer window (use I and O for in and out or scrub forward until the in point and shift+scrub til the out point)
    Alt+0 to move focus to the timeline
    Position cursor where you want to insert and press A to place event (or ensure "Ripple Edit" is on, press S to split and A to insert rather than overwrite.
    (Other variations are available)
    Tim

As TimS says, I and O, and then "select loop region" with Shift+L (or Shift+Q) or scrub, Shift+scrub, then Alt+0, position cursor and then A should work nicely in Movie Studio 13 Plat. too.
    There are other variations as he said and if you just need to trim on the timeline, see the new Editing toolbar with the Trim options (kb shortcuts too) below the timeline.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast