Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panasonic gh3

1. Default Panasonic gh3

Anyone got experience with this Camera?

Im considering this over the 70D as it has a headphone jack, audio monitoring, can shoot 1080 at 60 fps....plus the image seems crisper somehow.

I watched this last night, although its the GH2 model, it is interesting anyway.. http://www.imaging-resource.com/news...i-says-coppola

Charlie

I think you are probably in danger of brain meltdown. As you will read HERE there isn't a one size fit's all best camera in your price range. It's a very competitive market for you, which is good in one respect that you will end up with a nice camera but the variety will make your brain melt before you get there.

At the end of the blog that I linked to, it says "Whichever camera you chose, don’t forget…it’s only a tool! The most important thing is what you do with it!"

We've all been in this position and we've all live to tell the tail. In the end You will be happy with most of the aspects of what ever you get but will find a couple of little niggles about, this is life and gods way of telling us we all need to be millionaires if we are going to take up this hobby.

3. Default

aint dat da truth!!

Yes I know what you say is true, its a lot to spend for me though, but theres no rush

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    At the end of the blog that I linked to, it says "Whichever camera you chose, don’t forget…it’s only a tool! The most important thing is what you do with it!"
    And just to drive the point home ... look at the difference between the most recent video you posted and one of your earlier one.

Would having an Arri Alexa have made one of your earlier ones anywhere near as good as the one you just shot on your HV30? Abolutely not!

The key difference is you have a better understanding of what you're trying to achieve and how to use the tools you have at your disposal to achieve it.

(But I totally understand - after months I'm still undecided about what camera to get - although it most certainly will be a camcorder rather than a DSLR/Micro 4/3 as readines and availability to capture the moment is of more practical use to me than creative arty stuff (though ideally I'd like both)
    Tim

5. Default

Hey Tim,

Yes my latest video is streets ahead of any other one I have done. I think I now understand the drawbacks of DSLR too and would also like to stick with a camcorder but as far as I can see, there are no swappable lens camcorders (full HD) at around 1000. Is this right?...Im talking new.

The only thing I lack currently on the HV30 is being to get really shallow DOF, and the performance of the HV30 in low light is pretty poor, but DOF is the main thing. To me its one of the main factors that separate "cinematic" as opposed to "home video" when you watch something. I think my shot compositions are being severely let down by not being able to get the DOF I want for each shot.

Blog Entries

If you're so set on shallow DOF then DSLR is definitely the way to go. The upcoming Sony CX900 is a fixed lens camcorder with a 1" sensor that I'll be quite interested to see the results of (around 1300), but whilst it may well suit me I don't think it's necessarily the casee for you. You may well do some different stuff, but what you've showed us so far, you will have time to set up, try out and repeat until you've got the shot that's necessary. In that situation, I'd expect a good DSLR and prime(s) to win hands down.
    Tim

7. Default

How strange, was just looking at that cam, its already out.

Yeh, im a sucker for shallow DOF, like this amazing shot from one of my all time favourite films, Confessions (Kokuhaku). I just could not achieve that on my HV30.

This movie blew my mind from a cinematography standpoint, now I cant stop think about getting a new camera!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moonmin troll View Post
    How strange, was just looking at that cam, its already out.
    but no-one has stock and here are precious few sample videos/reviews posted. It's all just fairy dust at the moment.
    Tim

Things like sensor size (the bigger the better) and lens (with a small F number) are a factor in getting a shallow depth of field BUT the way the camera is used is also important. Here is an example. I shot this video with a normal camcorder when I first got it to test the DOF etc. as you can see in this video getting the shallow depth of field is more about relative distance of objects than anything else so the way you frame the shots is. The iris being open as wide as possible is another important factor.

So as you see there is a lot of factors to gettning a shallow depth of field not just having a DSLR. You might want to consider a used Canon 5D MkIII with a full frame sensor, you could do a lot worse than this camera.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 04-06-2014 at 07:57 PM.

10. Default

Video is set to private, I cant view it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast